BC1400T Original 2 speed clutch information is elusive

Greetings all:
In my spare time over the last 1.5 + years I have been slowly putting together a Bonanza 1400T. This would not be possible without your generosity of sharing experiences-both good and bad for a novice such as myself to learn from.

I started with a bare frame that I bought locally which had been previously powdered coated. The great majority of all the other parts were obtained from you.....all the fine folks on this forum. Not shown in the photo's is a reproduction gas tank, and seat ready to go. The Tecumseh H50 is dated 1971 which I re-ringed while also adding a lighting coil.

At this point I am mocking up the Comet manual 2 speed, attempting to size the dual drive chains. The sprocket sizes on this manual unit are a 24 t and 12 t.

My question is:
Does anyone know what Comet? or other brand dual sprocket, engine driven clutch was oem that I should be looking for? I was mocking this up with a currently available max torque dual sprocket 12t clutch. The dual 12t will not properly tension both chains. The original must be an oddball wherein 1 sprocket is a different size from the other.

Note for reference, I do have an original chain guard for this application. Measurements seem to indicate that the center to center shaft distance falls to c. 8.25 inches. Sorry, that photo attached is upside down.

Thank you all. If anyone has the necessary part, or advice, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Bernie

markus

comet dual sprocket was the original, they were 12t on both sprockets. While they problaby wont help unless you stumble across a stash of parts or a maybe a shop with a bunch of Old stock here are what I have in Bonanza and comet parts lists for numbers

Bonanza part number 2035-B for the clutch assembly (3/4")
2035-1B for just the sprocket/drum

Comet part number NT-4012-73 for 3/4" dual sprocket assembly (what Bonanza used)
A45015 is just the sprocket/drum

Ive never had the pleasure of being able to find an actual Comet 12t to use and try with any of the 2 speeds, Only ever used the currently available Max torque. Its always been a bit of a challenge to get chains fairly equal. 2 different brand chains (somewhat used and stretched already) was one way I got one setup as some of them stretch out differently depending on build and quality.

Good luck with it

Thank you so much for the information, now I have something to look out for.
The tip on using different chain is interesting...........thanks
Bernie

pomfish

I have a Trailblazer 2 speed and used a half link on one chain and a used stretched on the other and it worked out great.
Now need to try to apply same deal with the Gilson 525, that thing skips the primary easy if you don't launch gingerly.