Been catching up on my R/C Aircraft projects & flying ,, this season.

I74

Got my little E-flite UMX - Sbach finally all fixed up & ready to rip ! :)

This I found on RC groups, & was pretty messed up.
Had to replace most of the ''tiny'' servo drive & driven gears also.
Also made aileron servo fairing covers out of tooth brush clear plastic pkg. blisters,, to especially cover the ''exposed '' servo gears that are close to the leading edges of the wings.
Think it's really stupid that they didn't incorporate something like those in the design,, as the gears can get hit easy,, plus debris ect. getting caught in the gear teeth. :rolleyes:

Everything seems to work super smooth & fine now,, on this little - ''hard to find'' gem. :cool:

Now just have to wait probably @ least another 6 weeks of winter to go & try it & the T1800 Sailplane out... :confused:

I

100_7334.JPG

I74

Also came up with this slick brainstorm upgrade landing gear for my QQ Extra 300.

This is the gear set for the Flex Innovations RV-8 10.

Stance is about 1 inch wider & taller than the stock gear,, & is ''very'' stout !

You would probably rip the mounting screws out of the fuse before bending the gear strut. ;)

Should be able to take off & land on cut grass now. :cool:

100_7332.JPG

LIVIT

Ian looking good my friend. I flew one of those Eflite UMX when they first came out. I had it hovering in the Hobby shop. It's a fun lil plane. That Extra looks good with that gear. Landing gear was always an issue at my electric only club, until we put in a tarp like runway, man that was great !!

I74

Thanks Guys !! :)

It's 5*f here in - 'Icebox'' E-central Iowa this morning,, & I can't wait till spring !! o_O:rolleyes:

LIVIT

Nice man, I think I had that same stang, just different markings. My nemesis, GeeBees and Corsairs. I do believe I broke more props with those 2 planes than all my others combined. There was a good reason so many died flying the real GeeBees. Some interesting History. The Corsair almost did not make it into Carrier duty. Until a British pilot figured out you had to come in on an angle. There was a good number of Corsairs that seen carrier duty after that, but most still were land based.

What is y'alls favorite military prop Plane ? Mine is the SkyRaider. Prop driven version of the A-10. Only single engine plane ever designed to carrier a nuclear weapon. South Vietnam nickname was the ugly buffalo :) Could carry a lot of ordinance and could fit 12 special forces members in fuselage area. No tks !

River Rat Ron

@LIVIT …sounds like you know well. I never owned a Corsair not sure why…..Whistling Death. A very neat bird.
The GeeBee was the hardest by far with regards to landing. I spent un counted hours on Real Flight. It flew so nice and knife edged all day, but come time to land it’s was adrenaline overdrive . Flying is optional, landing is a mandatory. My favorite old warbird was the P -51, P-47. I almost pulled the trigger on a Sky Raider when motion rc released it. The thing was covered in armament….By then my RC desires were coming to an end. Have since sold it all.

LIVIT

I don't remember who stated it, but some famous flyer did "Landing is no more than a controlled crash" :) I hear ya, I love my Real Flight, still play around with it sometimes. Correct "Whistling Death" . From what I remember about the GeeBee, it had a bad habit of winging over on take offs from torque and the short wings. But your right, once you got them airborne, they were fun to fly. I seemed to always nose mine over 2 outa 3 landings. I had a big one that I tried pylon racing with, but it was just too much. My electric was pure adrenaline as you said, but fun.

Mr. Pink

I don't remember who stated it, but some famous flyer did "Landing is no more than a controlled crash"
While going to school getting my A & P license, I was working for an experimental aircraft manufacturer.
The founder of the company had a plaque on the wall of his office with a quote from Frank Borman.
“A superior pilot uses his superior judgment to avoid situations which require the use of his superior skill”

River Rat Ron

A few more…you guys making me miss it. Yeah stick building was rewarding taking a box of wood and a set of plans, inventory it all so you don’t cut the wrong board. Oh well a few more and enough thread whoring from me…
Funny…like minds….61 going on 12 here….yes the room is purple…my daughter moved out, the planes moved in.

577DF6FF-97A2-44F5-B37F-A81125E38B00.png
55D7A34F-D23E-4A58-BEE8-3FE983FC31C1.png

River Rat Ron

@LIVIT The GeeBee had to be moving and fast.
On take off use rudder only, you had to roll into it or yes it would torque roll, if you used ailerons too soon it would tip stall. This plane like flying WFO for which it was intended.
Landing you didn’t set up and flare last minute you came in hot and let it roll until the tail settled.
If you tried to flare it ibefore landing it would porpoise. Dead stick was almost assured destruction.
Problem was you’d better have a lot of runway or you were off in the grass in spite of getting it down safely.
Mine lived minus cracked wheel pants and skinned tips

LIVIT

Yeah right Ron, admit it brother, you like "Passion Purple" or is it "Plum Crazy" :) Nice cub ! I miss flying big stuff and racing fast boats. But my peripheral vision got too bad and I became a hazard. I do still fly the micros around my yard. So that eases the need to fly. You're not whoring, I'm sure Ian will tell ya the same.

River Rat Ron

Yeah right Ron, admit it brother, you like "Passion Purple" or is it "Plum Crazy" :) Nice cub ! I miss flying big stuff and racing fast boats. But my peripheral vision got too bad and I became a hazard. I do still fly the micros around my yard. So that eases the need to fly. You're not whoring, I'm sure Ian will tell ya the same.
Actually it was periwinkle, guys at the paint store got a laugh. I told em it was for my room…same my vision started messing with me. Id get one out there and lose perspective, have to wag the wings and just fly it in my head no panic. I always wanted to build a brushless boat. I loved the micros T 28 was my go to. Also had the larger T 28 which was a pleasure to fly. Thanks on the J3….110 inch…when I landed it here at the farm it looked like a real plane :D