Been catching up on my R/C Aircraft projects & flying ,, this season.

I74

Took the ''Pulp Fiction '' 962C with us on a day trip yesterday,, & found a gas station/Truck plaza,, with a nice ''pretty much vacant'' concrete surface back lot of around 600 by 300ft.
All I gott'a say is,, that's still ''not'' enough room to open the thing up ! o_O

Turned the steering DR ''way'' down,, so to only have minimal steering,, just in case it tried to veer when going over 40mph.

Still only got just over 1/2 throttle out of it,, with pussy footing the throttle & not trying to light up the tires,, plus running out of room real quick !

Am guessing I got it up well over 40 in around 300ft,, & then had to release the throttle & let it coast the rest of the way so to slow down enough to make the turns,, & was basically making wide 150ft+ turns on one end of the lot.

Really need like a 1/4 mile runway,, with me in the middle off to the side,, to see what this sucker might actually do.

Another thought,, is to follow it in a real car, with someone else driving,, on a ''smooth'' 1/2 plus mile stretch of country rd,, & not try to run it over .:eek:

Wifey watched me run it & said,, ''that car looks like a handful''!! :p LOL

Here's some new pics of it with the custom graphics all applied .:cool:

I
100_7380.JPG 100_7376.JPG 100_7389.JPG

Last edited:

I74

Yea,, I'll work on that,, when I can get my Buddy Fred to shoot some,, & when also finding a suitable ''very large smooth area'' to wring it out. ;)

P/S,,
There is a You Tube vid of a cool Guy that's name is -''That Black Dude'','' running one on the road for a bit,, that did a ''smaller/ less rpm'' Brushless set up than mine,, running on a 3s Lipo.

It isn't potentially quite as fast,, but you would kind'a get the idea ...

Looks like he hit probably around 40 mph.

You just Google - ''Brushless Tyco Porsche 962'' - ''You tube''.

I

Last edited:

Thepaetsguy

Sorry for the bad picture but this post makes me so anxious for summer. every morning I wake up and the airstrip is booming across the field. if it’s not glow engines I’d say there using weed eater engines. and let me tell you when the jet roars by at 7AM and the suns shining you just know it’s gonna be a good day. I’ll get out of bed every day early to go watch the jets fly around. F3AC4DBE-04BF-4238-A560-147F43EB5600.jpeg

Thepaetsguy

Also campfire story’s from living next to the strip! an rc jet went down after they lost control of it and they never found it. another one went down and hit the tree’s and went up in flames instantly.

River Rat Ron

A few memories from my RC days…one was a guy at the flying field that had a huge scale bomber. The thing had four prop motors, ( early 70s I was young ) don’t remember the size engines-or plane type. It was beautiful, highly detailed

Anyway we patiently waited as he started each motor. He taxied out and with a slow roll he hammered it.

The thing barely lifted off at the end of the runway…..it got up about 15 ft. When it hit the woods. It’s destroyed itself as propless motors screamed. The poor guy almost cried. I witnessed many planes visit poundtown.

Another standout that happened occasionally was the planes that just kept going. They were flying straight and level and just disappeared on the horizon Guys would jump in their car to try and follow.

Last edited:

I74

Also campfire story’s from living next to the strip! an rc jet went down after they lost control of it and they never found it. another one went down and hit the tree’s and went up in flames instantly.
Those Turbine Jets are a ''very expensive'' way to play Ruzzen Roulette ,, & most seem like they eventually loose...

Multiple ''thousands'' of dollars in ''a lot'' of those,, & all you need,, is a smidge of air in one of the lines ect. to cause a flame out . :eek:

I'll just stick with my trusty/''cheap'' & reliable electric stuff. ;)

Added,,

Finally got the rest of the correct size graphics for the 96' 911 GT1,, & finished it up a bit ago,, also lowered the body a bit.

I opened up the roof air intake as well & it is functional.

Think it looks a ''whole lots better'',, & was worth the effort & coin for the graphics. :)

It was very tedious work piecing all that together,, kind'a like a jig saw puzzle especially on the billboards .

Added,,

Will also start getting the Minibikes serviced & ready here in the next couple of weeks or so ... :cool:

I

100_7398.JPG 100_7404.JPG

Last edited:

I74

Season flying opener starts tomorrow afternoon 3/28/23 .. ''Yaaay"" !!! :)

It'll probably hit close to 50 later in the afternoon,, but is supposed to be sunny,, & winds around 10.
Bit chilly yet, but am going anyways ....

Just ordered a 2435 brushless set up for my - ''little toy'' retriever Hydro.

Kv on that is 4800,, & that motor is 5mm longer than the one I put in the 962C,, & a bit more powerful also..

Have already put hobby grade radio gear in it,, & that motor will bolt right up.
Also reworked the Stainless prop shaft, so to run actual hobby grade & correct rotation props on it,, & also a hobby grade prop shaft to motor shaft Alum. coupler,, so the shaft can be removed easy,, without having to remove the motor assy. :rolleyes:

Already have it set up with a 2700ma 2s Lipo,, as I have been running it with the stock 380 water cooled brushed motor,, & an upgraded 20a hobby grade brushed ESC thus far..

It's definitely time for the brushless set up,, especially being 30 bucks for all of it shipped from chiner. ;)

Think the little sucker is probably going to blow right off the water,, & look like a Circus act !! :eek::p LOL

Flame decals on it,, I put on a couple of years ago,, & they are the ''rare'' Parma ''old school'' - ''Funky flame'' ones.
Was real lucky to find them in the proper colors,, & think they look pretty spiff. :cool:

I'll post more pics,, when I get it all done,, & will also try & get some vid @ some point ...

Lastly,,
Finally watched ''Top Gun Maverick'' ,, for the first time today on Amazon prime,, & that Movie is frigg'n awesome !!

Didn't care for Tom Cruise much when he was younger,, & always thought he was a ''punk @$$'',, but seems he's grown up ''a lot'' in recent years since,, & also looks like a pretty much straight up ''grounded'' Dude now,, from what I see,, regardless of the theory's about him being a ''brain washed'' nut case.. . ....
Hell,, Owning & being able to fly a P-51D Mustang ''real good'' , plus L-39 Jet's,, I think one would have to have their shit together pretty well ..

My 2 cents.

I
100_6283.JPG 100_6278.JPG

Last edited:

I74

Got the brushless mod done on my ''little toy'' Hydro.

Took it to the pond the other eve. & tried it out.

It went ''stupid'',, & the left sponson started lifting real bad,, & making the boat basically hook @ spin out when giving over 1/2 throttle.

You could sure tell that it was at the point of airing out & wanting to start hauling @$$ though !

Anyways ,, I gutted it again & swapped the pack & ESC positions with putting the pack over into the left sponson as far left ''port'' as it would go,, with also moving the CG - ''center of gravity'' back a wee bit also,, so as to help it jump on plane better.

Have set up R/C Hydro's for ''many'' years,, & it's all about finding the sweet spot for balance & functionality,, regardless if it's a $50 boat,, or an $800+ dollar boat.

Getting that pack on the left side, should make it a whole bunch better,, & should cancel out that 'new drive direction'' prop torque,, which was causing the left side to lift real bad.

I will probably try it out again in the morning,, before the winds pick up.

It's a prototype,, & is all about test / tune & set up,, just like everything else that's modified,, & not really originally designed to go fast. :p;)

I
100_7432.JPG 100_7434.JPG

Last edited:

I74

Just took the Brushless 48v Mini out for it's season opener.

All I had to do for prep,, was dust it off, charge it up,, & put some air in the tires..

That sucker is smoooth,, & think I might ''finally'' have the Wifey talked in to trying it out this season,, as I built it for her anyways...

Rode my GX-200 twice already also. :cool:

I

I74

Buddy Fred & I just ''each '' ordered ''state of the art'' Riarrio 1/10th scale AK-917 ''carbon version'' RTR - R/C cars.

The ''timeless''/''Epic'' Porsche 917K, has always & will forever be my all time fav. race car, & always hoped sombody would make a state of the art Hobby grade R/C offering.

Anyways,,

These are classified as the ''worlds fastest '' RTR ''out of the box - R/C cars,, with speeds capable of over 125mph,, on higher cell count lipo's. !!

They come with a 2s - 3300 hard case lipo,, & a few different gear sets.

Around 50 - 60mph on the included 2s pack,, which is ''plenty'' fast for me .

''Way'' to much info to type of these cutting edge works of art,, just go check out the ''Riarrio'' site & the You tube vids. ;)

Will tell you all though,, that the ''top shelf'' versions we ae getting,, come with multiple lights ,,,, including exhaust - ''back fire'' lights !! :cool:

Looks like I ''finally'' got my wish,, & then some !! :)

I
287AE045-378B-4A4E-B107-185F15638292.jpeg 1681909702694.png

Last edited:

I74

Me & Fred's Rlaarlo AK-917 ''carbon'' super cars showed up Thurs. !! :p:)

Had some extra custom Porsche graphics left over from the other cars,, & did mine up with 3 suttle ones,, to ''appropriately'' enhance the livery of it. :cool:

Have run it twice already on a 2s - 3300 out front in the street,, with dialing down the throttle output to about 65%,, so as to learn it,, & tweek & feel the set up.
Thnk I got it going around 45mph a couple of times,, with that setting,, which it still was trying to get out of shape @ around 35,, if hitting the throttle from about 1/2,, even with it being AWD !!!!

Record ''so far'' on these,, is around 134mph,, on 4s !!!! :eek:

''Way'' to fast for me,, & they are pretty much a blur @ around 60mph anyways ... o_O

Speed challenge record attempts from around the world,, they are mostly running them on runways & @ actual full scale race tracks,, like on the ''smooth'' straits that are @ least 1/3 mile long.

Rlaarlo is actually sponsering the speed challenge on these cars,, & top prize is like $10k !

These will probably be the fasted ''& best'' 1/10 scale ''RTR'' electric R/C cars in the world,, for many moons..... ;)

I
100_7487.JPG

Last edited:
134 MPH ...Holy Poop Batman that's plum crazy looking I WANT ONE or two of???? lol No time at this point of life, can't even search out mini-bikes let alone wrench on one! The time will come tho, just not anytime soon!

I74

134 MPH ...Holy Poop Batman that's plum crazy looking I WANT ONE or two of???? lol No time at this point of life, can't even search out mini-bikes let alone wrench on one! The time will come tho, just not anytime soon!
Yea,, this car is someth'n else ! :)

Ran it again yesterday when we went out of town,, stopping in @ a large ''smooth'' concrete lot, back beind & side of a Truck plaza.

Had it dialed up to around 75% on 2s this time,, & it drew a crowd of Bikers,, & a couple of workers !!

Think I had it around 50 a couple of times,, & was also feeling out handling with wide sweeping turns,, & doing probably around 40.

Comments from the crowd were like,, ''that thing is really fast'',, & ''That's bad'' !! :cool:

I then informed them that what they were seeing,, is only around 1/3 of how fast it can potentially go... :p

Could tell that a couple of them were trying to put 2 & 2 together on that statement. LOL !! :D

I got a really nice 5000ma 3s pack for it also,, that the manufacturer ''gifted'' me,, because of starting a thread on ''RC Groups'' about it.

With that pack,, it could hit over 90 easy,, with dialing up to 100% .
''Way'' to fast for me though,, & I would probably dial it to only around 40% with that 3s.

Figure 50 - 60 with that setting,, & ''a lot'' more run time,, plus not on -''as many''- pins & needles ! ;)

I

P/S,,

I took my GX-200 Mini on a memorial day early eve. cruise yesterday,, & racked up 13 miles ! :):cool:

Last edited: