Best “stock” style carb?

What would you say the best universal “stock” style carbs are out there that are obtainable, adjustable (by needle or jet), for 6-10+hp and a good performer on the level of slide or tilly.

I know the HS and HM series carbs are popular as well as the predator carbs. But is there a real solid ‘go to’ carb that a guy can’t go wrong with? Am I crazy for thinking that I can get a stock style carb that will run close to a slide style carb for a reasonable price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't include Tilly in that list. They are tempermental at low speed, and do their best work at WOT. The original Tecumseh carbs including Walbro are solid. You have to keep the ethanol out of the gas though.

I wont recommend any of the Briggs carbs, including flo-jet.

The best carburetor I have ever had on a small gas engine is a Chikuni. Yes, it took awhile to tune, and I had to swap jets as well as move the needle detent up and down to find the sweet spot. I even had to order a new bowl gasket because it swelled due to the ethanol. It is not a plug and play deal. But on a very modified BS FH, it was always a one-pull deal, no enrichment, (choke) and the best throttle response I've ever had.

Also, [MENTION=58434]cfh[/MENTION] just tried an Ebay carb he was very happy with it. It sounded like it would suit your purposes. The challenge with all of these of course is your ability to fabricate, or procure an intake manifold, and to mitigate any fuel feed/pump issues.

EDIT: Here is the thread he mentions the Ebay PZ20 in. There is a huge difference between the amount of air required for a six HP and a ten HP and what if any modifications. I might try that one, or one like it, if the VM22 proves too big for my current project.

Also, it is very easy to make your own throttle cables so you can custom fit those slide carbs. Use copper tubing of the correct diameter from your local hardware store and solder it on. Very easy.

Last edited:

cfh

I think it would be helpful to know the exact motor you're using. my experiments with low-cost carbs documented here are limited to HS40 and HS50 motors.

I think it would be helpful to know the exact motor you're using. my experiments with low-cost carbs documented here are limited to HS40 and HS50 motors.
Hi Cfh, I did check out your thread where you compared the different HS40 and HS50 carbs and it was very interesting. I don’t want to pigeon hole my self one specific engine but i will narrow it down to a 200ish cc OHV 4 stroke with some mods that would put them beyond there original 6hp rating.

So for example, on a modified 200cc ohv 4 stroke, are you better off going with a carb like the one an HS50 would have or would something like a carb for a HM100 be better being that the HP level is probably closer to a 10hp.

cfh

if you mean you're using a predator style motor or equivalent Honda thing, i haven't really started down that path. i have some parts ordered to try that struff, but they haven't arrived. I only have really one bike with a predator style motor (non-hemi). but i want to try some different carbs for that. I ordered a $15 china clone mikuni to give it try. but i don't have it yet. and i think the jet issue will raise it's ugly head, and i'll have to deal with that.

when i get that all figured out i'll post that info. i think a good low-cost non-butterfly carb would be nice. Right now i just buy $10 predator stock replacement carbs from ebay. I have re-jet that one, because it didn't run right with an open exhaust. But that's all i can offer right now.

The OHV guys are using 26mm carbs and larger. The Series I Tecumseh carburetor that cfh refers to are designed according to Tecumseh for engines up to 7HP. I would assume that carb would not flow enough vacuum.

The Tecumseh series 3 and 4 are for the larger displacement engines from 8 to 12 HP. Here is the manual that shows how to identify them.

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehcarburetormanual.pdf

In your case, I'd still go with the proven VM22 "Chikuni."

Thanks Dave, but can’t run a slide style. I already have a a Mikuni vm22. I need to run a traditional butterfly style and I’m trying to figure out if I can match the power and drivability I can get with the mikuni but the a butterfly style carb.

That leaves you open to any thing inside the engine bore ,stroke , valves , springs and on and on . Good luck to you ! I know the Honda/clone carbs were being bored out to .650 when we quit karting and now I think a lot of the guys are running 13hp carbs with even bigger bores. Might check over on Bobs4cycle and see what's going on now.