Best transmission types for workhorse use ?

I am in the process of building up a project Baja MB165 and am comparing torque converters vs
clutch and jackshafts etc.. It seems to me that certainly the variable transmission aspect of
the T Converters is very nice to have just as it would be nicer in a car to have multiple speeds
transmission instead of driving around in the same gear all the time ..... but I also would
think that the belts would be wearing out frequently and might need to be replaced frequently.

Suppose there were two different types of workhorse jobs available....
One being the need to tow a small trailer up a mountainside slowly over and over
as if delivering construction materials for a project...

Another type or workhorse job would be a cross country trek that could be 40 or 50 miles long
through various terrain. You could be way out it places that you would NOT want to break down.
Definitely need reliability here unless it is pretty easy to change out belts in the field with
a small complement of tools etc.

So I guess what I am talking about might be thought of in terms of how many avg hours
of hard use before maintenance or replacement for each of the transmissions ?

Also.... wondering if some of the bigger Torque Converters intended for larger HP engines
might hold up longer if implemented on the smaller engines ?

Since I cant afford your Tote Goats, I will have to build my own. I have a Baja MB-165
frame and wheels to work with so I'd like to know how best to re-create the Tote-Goat.

How was their drive train set up ?
I can put a bigger engine and torque converter and the best tires but I am not sure
which exact combination of choices will work best for true workhorse use either
great distances or slow hauling etc.

Last edited: