bet not many have done this! hs50 shroud modified to fit on an un modified lighted hs40.

joshua. c.

I've been searching for a reasonably priced shroud for this bike since I bought it this winter and I've had no luck, the cheapest ones I saw on eBay would be around 80-100$ to my door, way to much money! this was the only part I need to get the bike running that I could not just order and I wanted to get the bike running right away so that really began to annoy me. this week I just gave up and decided to try an idea I had been thinking about. I noticed the hs40 shroud is nearly identical to the hs50 shroud with a few small changes including the fact that the hs50 shroud was deeper and with people fitting hs40 shrouds to hs50s doing the exact opposite should be theoretically possible. I new i could just change the flywheel and cup to the ones off an hs50 and bolt the shroud it right on but that would cost me the use of the lighting coil. so instead I cut down the hs50 shroud to the same relative size and shape of the hs40 shroud, I used a shroud off my rupp roadster 2 as a guide. and got to work. and after a bit of cutting, drilling new holes and filing them oval like the originals and some test fitting I had a functional shroud that works with the stock flywheel and starter cup. I included pictures of the finished product on the bike and a couple of the new modified hs50 shroud compared to the original hs40 shroud and compared to an un modified hs50 shroud. by the way the holes on the shroud I modified were wallowed out very badly so it wouldn't line up right on the engine it came off of and the shroud had cracks at the top so if it didn't work I wasn't loosing much. I had planned on replacing it anyways with the better shape hs50 shroud I'm comparing it to in the pictures. the project took about 2hrs and I still need to re paint the shroud but now I have a functional shroud and I can get my new bike running. I'm very happy about that.

important note: something you can't see on the modified shroud is that near the throttle control spot the hs50 shroud has a indent that needs to be hammered flat in order to fit on the hs40.

if you have any questions on the project feel free to ask. and I'll do my best to answer then.

mtd shroud 002.JPG mtd shroud 004.JPG mtd shroud 003.JPG mtd shroud 005.JPG mtd shroud 006.JPG

So that Hs50 shroud already had studs? That’s cool saved you some work.
You can always pick up a proper Hs40 shroud later on if you see one at a better price down the road

joshua. c.

yup it already had studs, all the hs50s of this relative age that I've come across do. I wasnt even aware that hs35s dont untill recently.

I've been searching for a reasonably priced shroud for this bike since I bought it this winter and I've had no luck, the cheapest ones I saw on eBay would be around 80-100$ to my door, way to much money! this was the only part I need to get the bike running that I could not just order and I wanted to get the bike running right away so that really began to annoy me. this week I just gave up and decided to try an idea I had been thinking about. I noticed the hs40 shroud is nearly identical to the hs50 shroud with a few small changes including the fact that the hs50 shroud was deeper and with people fitting hs40 shrouds to hs50s doing the exact opposite should be theoretically possible. I new i could just change the flywheel and cup to the ones off an hs50 and bolt the shroud it right on but that would cost me the use of the lighting coil. so instead I cut down the hs50 shroud to the same relative size and shape of the hs40 shroud, I used a shroud off my rupp roadster 2 as a guide. and got to work. and after a bit of cutting, drilling new holes and filing them oval like the originals and some test fitting I had a functional shroud that works with the stock flywheel and starter cup. I included pictures of the finished product on the bike and a couple of the new modified hs50 shroud compared to the original hs40 shroud and compared to an un modified hs50 shroud. by the way the holes on the shroud I modified were wallowed out very badly so it wouldn't line up right on the engine it came off of and the shroud had cracks at the top so if it didn't work I wasn't loosing much. I had planned on replacing it anyways with the better shape hs50 shroud I'm comparing it to in the pictures. the project took about 2hrs and I still need to re paint the shroud but now I have a functional shroud and I can get my new bike running. I'm very happy about that.

important note: something you can't see on the modified shroud is that near the throttle control spot the hs50 shroud has a indent that needs to be hammered flat in order to fit on the hs40.

if you have any questions on the project feel free to ask. and I'll do my best to answer then.

View attachment 247732 View attachment 247735 View attachment 247734 View attachment 247736 View attachment 247737
yup it already had studs, all the hs50s of this relative age that I've come across do. I wasnt even aware that hs35s dont untill recently.
$80 - $100 delivered? I see them all the time used for about $30 with recoil , usually without the unsightly primer pump. Here's one with the pump: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/p/3014749471.

Still its good you got an HS40 shroud to work though

joshua. c.

If that be the case I see em both for around that price.
there seems to be some misunderstanding hear so let me clarify what I have created and why.

my bike is has an early model hs40 engine, its the same one rupp roadsters used and it takes a specific shroud that is in high demand and low supply. its rounded at the top unlike later model shrouds that are square and its not as deep. the shroud you pictured is a later model shroud made with more space underneath for an external coil. the early engines had points and condenser and didn't need the space. the shroud you showed is the same one I started with and will not fit my engine without modifying the shroud or the engine. I chose to modify the shroud and I cut it down to fit my hs40. the shroud pictured on the bike was the final product. and I've been searching all summer for an original early model shroud and haven't found one cheep enough. as I said 80 - 100$. for every one I saw on ebay. and no luck at local swap meets. everyone wants this shroud to either complete vintage engines like mine or to make newer easier to find engines look period correct for there vintage bikes. I have to admit I find the early shroud on a vintage bike looks is allot prettier.

if i didn't make it clear which shroud in my pictures was the final and wich one was the early model that I used as a template. my apology's.

I do have an update, I painted the cut down hs50 shroud.. it looks allot better pictures to come later this week.

this is one of the early shrouds like what my bike would have come with. this one is off my rupp its had some home brew stuff added that I've since removed and its in rough shape but its a good example.

rupp shroud 001.JPG

rupp shroud 2 001.JPG