Big block 5 vs a 6 &7

trailramdan

My ol trail buck came with a 6 or 7 horse. I found a 5 horse big block with lighting coil close to me. Will this motor pull the bike around good? I plan on using the comet clutches yet/jack shaft to the rear tire like factory. Any input?

In my opinion the 7hp is the hands down winner here and if you already have the lighting coil 5hp and both are points motors then depending on the year of these motors the light coil could be swapped from the 5hp to the 7hp and you can get a billet rod to work on that 7hp with a little rod modification. The 7hp Tecumseh has a beefier con rod bigger bore and bigger valves all in the same size package.

trailramdan

My
In my opinion the 7hp is the hands down winner here and if you already have the lighting coil 5hp and both are points motors then depending on the year of these motors the light coil could be swapped from the 5hp to the 7hp and you can get a billet rod to work on that 7hp with a little rod modification. The 7hp Tecumseh has a beefier con rod bigger bore and bigger valves all in the same size package.
my bike has no motor, ive been looking for a 6 or 7 horse which was factory. I found the big block 5 for it with lighting coil which i want . I was hoping the 5 woulf carry the bike decent enough yet as i havent been able to locate 6 or 7 let alone one with a lighting coil

My

my bike has no motor, ive been looking for a 6 or 7 horse which was factory. I found the big block 5 for it with lighting coil which i want . I was hoping the 5 woulf carry the bike decent enough yet as i havent been able to locate 6 or 7 let alone one with a lighting coil
A good running and well tuned H50 will pull it surprisingly well. Like the others here said, the 7 will have more HP but if you have the lighted H50 available, I'd say go for it. You can always keep an eye out for a cheap, decent snowblower H70 while you are enjoying your Trail Buck!