Billet heads for the 6.5 clones

I was just looking around the net and found this site, some of you may know it already, Stout Racing... They are developing billet heads... not sure what the price will be but they look pretty sweet...

those heads are already on the market.

they are not made by stout racing, they are made bye Matt Sachs.

belmit development also makes them.

these both carry a heavy price tag of about 800.00 dollars.

not needed unless you have a big bore OPEN motor.:wink:

65ShelbyClone

Personally, I don't like that there is so little valve stem/guide support and that it still uses a huge 14mm plug. Since it's a maximum-effort race head, I will also criticize the fact that it uses the stock inline valve positions and a nearly bathtub-shaped chamber.

Belmit's canted-valve head gallery is here:
Karting pictures by nitropathic - Photobucket

At least it has a better chamber and valve angles.

65ShelbyClone

I wonder how hard it would be to make and cast my own head?
Depends on the level of quality you tried to achieve. The porosity alone would hard to manage as would making the port molds and getting a clean shape on delicate parts like cooling fins. The guys with CNC machines like Belmit and Sachs cut them out of a wrought because it's actually easier, less expensive, and the finished product is better.

$800 for a head???, yeah hahahaha that.
You're looking at no less than $100/hr for shop time plus materials, deburr, and installing seats and guides. I bet the block of aluminum alone costs close to $100.

Depends on the level of quality you tried to achieve. The porosity alone would hard to manage as would making the port molds and getting a clean shape on delicate parts like cooling fins. The guys with CNC machines like Belmit and Sachs cut them out of a wrought because it's actually easier, less expensive, and the finished product is better.

You're looking at no less than $100/hr for shop time plus materials, deburr, and installing seats and guides. I bet the block of aluminum alone costs close to $100.
plus the time it took them do draw it up

Maybe I willl start with a wooden one see how that works easier to carve lol...

A friend of mine and I sat down drew up a 226 cubic in 1 cylinder 2 stroke semi diesel. Someday I might make that considerably less work lol.

I don't think Matt Sachs is for sure producing the head with the bathtub chamber. Last thread I read on 4cycle was that he was still testing them and playing with the design. That was just one of the high compression chambers he was trying out.

That was a while back so who knows maybe he is making them, maybe not. But for the most part I think he is mostly a machinist not cylinder head designer, so he plays around with things quite a bit.

That Belmit head is pretty sick though Shelby, never seen that one yet. Don't even wanna know what that setup would cost lol. Couple grand probably :p