billet rods for the 2.8 Doodlebug and Briggs 3hp engines

Who wants billet rods for the 2.8/3hp's?

• DB 2.8 rod

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Briggs 3hp rod

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • predator 3hp rod

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters

bandit 40

"Billet rod" and "2.8 Doodlebug" have no business being in the same sentence!
Michael
IMO this is how experimenting all starts, and eliminating just one possible threat of it throwing a rod so I think if someone has the time and money and knowledge to attempt this it is a good thing.

"Billet rod" and "2.8 Doodlebug" have no business being in the same sentence!
Michael
Maybe not but it has been done. Probably not again but I did. I see why now there are no performance parts for any of the smaller engines. No one wants to attempt to do it and when someone does it's bashed. I have two of them made and the 3 and 3.5hp Briggs will be next. The only reason I haven't quit is because I'm having them done for my personal use. I just figured I would share for the ones who care, for the ones that don't you can carry on. If someone is interested I would share.

I love it! Great to see innovation.

How far off is a GX120 billet rod?

Can you measure the crank taper?
I have 3" and 4" steel lightweight flywheels that can run lighting coils, advancing CDI box, and are 15,000 RPM proven.

When you finish those, I need 6 steel rods, 9.75" long :)

125ccCrazy

I'm all for doing something off the norm, very nice job done on the rod... this is how a lot of big names racers and speed parts suppliers from back in the day started by experimenting with oddball stuff... Keep up the great work..

joshua. c.

I've been watching this thread since it started waiting to hear about the briggs 3hp rods. there is already a billet flywheel available but no rod, go figure. when you do make some if the price is reasonable sign me up for one, I want to build a briggs 3hp sleeper and surprise people when my little flathead 3hp outruns there big ohv 6hp.

I've been watching this thread since it started waiting to hear about the briggs 3hp rods. there is already a billet flywheel available but no rod, go figure. when you do make some if the price is reasonable sign me up for one, I want to build a briggs 3hp sleeper and surprise people when my little flathead 3hp outruns there big ohv 6hp.
yep same thinking here

joshua. c.

I'm struggling to see how a 125cc flattie is going to outrun a 200+cc OHV.
I love the side-valves, but,,,
the flathead would have a high lift cam, a timing advance ,shaved head, oversized valves, port work, a header, a bigger carb off a briggs 5 horse fitted to the smaller tank, a light weight flywheel and no governor. most ohv engines don't have that much work done to them and a lot of them are stock. a mean sure against an equally built 200cc ohv engine the little 3hp would get creamed but that's not who I'd be trying to surprise. this little powerhouse could also be put in a smaller frame to make the power weight ratio more favorable.

delray

stephensimmons, keep doing what your doing.....:thumbsup: and have fun doing it. if you can make a billet rod for a 3hp briggs and make it work? that would be pretty cool. like some of the guys where saying you can get a billet flywheel.
advance the timing and a little stiffer valve spring, header,small mikuni carb. i would think you could get a easy 5hp out of it.
fun making these little engines tic....:scooter:

delray

stephensimmons
From the flywheel. It broke in half then took the coil out.
is it possible that the flywheel was not lap correct to the tapper shaft before installing and or not torque correct too? good possibility this may of happen ? causing the flywheel to come loose and then hitting the coil bracket. causing it to brake in half. just no way i would think it would of just come unglued by it's self....:shrug:

going with the mythbusters theory........:laugh:

Honestly the time and money that goes into getting these rods made is crazy. If I were to get them done they wouldn't be under $150 each because I can't do the work myself. Therefore I would have to sell them at cost and if something happens it would be on me and I didn't even make a profit. I'm still working on having me some made and will see how that goes.