billet rods for the 2.8 Doodlebug and Briggs 3hp engines

Who wants billet rods for the 2.8/3hp's?

• DB 2.8 rod

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Briggs 3hp rod

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • predator 3hp rod

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters
I really want to see how many people would really be interested in getting this done. I know price would have something to do with it also. I see I have almost 500 views but would like some kind of response before I get more than we need made (for me and my cousin). So I'm going to attempt to make a poll. Pic of the 2.8 rod

photo.JPG

2SlickNick

Cool.
It's not a bad idea. I removed the governor, P&P, and made a header for my daughter's engine in her DB30.
It would be much safer with a billet rod...

It does go a little faster and the torque is better, but once the valve float kicks in it never really revs past the point of rod failure. Maybe I will hook my tachometer on it one day and see it's rpms.
I don't think there would be much of a market for the stocker DB engine ( I could be wrong ). Especially since the JS setup from PMR gives it much more performance without gov removed. JMHO

Cool.
It's not a bad idea. I removed the governor, P&P, and made a header for my daughter's engine in her DB30.
It would be much safer with a billet rod...

It does go a little faster and the torque is better, but once the valve float kicks in it never really revs past the point of rod failure. Maybe I will hook my tachometer on it one day and see it's rpms.
I don't think there would be much of a market for the stocker DB engine ( I could be wrong ). Especially since the JS setup from PMR gives it much more performance without gov removed. JMHO
Camshaft and springs will be worked on also. I just had these done because no one wanted to and got some one to do it. Can is a go so far and looking into sprinds. We have a total of 8 engines and all will be modified differently and results will be posted for those who care/thinking about it. Just really was curious and asked

Last edited:

joshua. c.

just a thought, if you dont want to make to many rods can you make them on a pre order basis? You could make it known you can get them and let people contact you when they want one made.

Db30 2.8 with pz19, shimmed valve springs, and a header did 8500 rpm floating the valves until the oil cap blew off and pushed the oil out.

I did a video of it a few years ago.

First off I applaud your efforts in doing this but just want to throw out a word of caution that I have seen people go out on a limb and make or have stuff made that people said they will buy.....but when it comes down to it the one putting their own money down to make it happen are left holding alot of excess product!! As someone mentioned before in another thread though I do believe the motorized bicycle crowd would be very interested in this idea also!! :thumbsup:

I think joshua.c.'s idea of a preorder system is a safe way to proceed! Just my 2 cents......and the proto rod looks sweet!! :thumbsup:

First off I applaud your efforts in doing this but just want to throw out a word of caution that I have seen people go out on a limb and make or have stuff made that people said they will buy.....but when it comes down to it the one putting their own money down to make it happen are left holding alot of excess product!! As someone mentioned before in another thread though I do believe the motorized bicycle crowd would be very interested in this idea also!! :thumbsup:

I think joshua.c.'s idea of a preorder system is a safe way to proceed! Just my 2 cents......and the proto rod looks sweet!! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words! And they would only be done on a preorder basis only. We would only have one or two on hand for our use once it's all worked out. We build these engines with kids so extra parts are always laying around plus we like to play also. Sense we could get it done it was posted to see if there was an interest in it and if it was would keep one of two on hand to try and break even at the least.

It was alive!!!!!! Then it died :scared: :sad::sad::sad::no: just found this in my text messages from my cousin

IMG_0330.jpg

Nobody got hurt but from the video before this pic it was revving way past 5k. Oh well back to the drawing board. And just so you know it had a .010 head gasket,16mm carb, and not going to tell on the cam yet :wink:

CarPlayLB

Seeing that confirms my suspicions in doing the small clone motors. The absence of a billet flywheel makes it a little scary for me...that and the fact that I am way too fat to have a motor that small!
If the price on the Briggs 3HP rod is attractive enough, I will build a 3.5HP I/C motor with a billet flywheel and a small Mikuni carb...I am subscribed!

CarPlayLB

One more area of concern for is the physical size of the rod and the weight versus the stock rod.
The rod you guys made is awesome...I bet it would hold 40HP! However, to me it looks too big...maybe overkill! Anyway we can think about making the beam smaller and lighten it up? Smaller motors are going to need to rev a bit quicker and not fight rotational mass.

I am a newb to these things...thoughts?

Seeing that confirms my suspicions in doing the small clone motors. The absence of a billet flywheel makes it a little scary for me...that and the fact that I am way too fat to have a motor that small!
If the price on the Briggs 3HP rod is attractive enough, I will build a 3.5HP I/C motor with a billet flywheel and a small Mikuni carb...I am subscribed!
Me Too.

One more area of concern for is the physical size of the rod and the weight versus the stock rod.
The rod you guys made is awesome...I bet it would hold 40HP! However, to me it looks too big...maybe overkill! Anyway we can think about making the beam smaller and lighten it up? Smaller motors are going to need to rev a bit quicker and not fight rotational mass.

I am a newb to these things...thoughts?
Maybe could have been a little smaller/lighter. Just trying to get someone to make them was hard enough but now that they are i can see whats going on and make adjustments. The motor revved pretty good in the video he sent me till this happened. I'm not giving up though just got to work things out. This is just something we were thinking about doing and finally did. At least what we did is done and now have to add more.

The 3/3.5 rods will be done also. My cousine is working on the 2.5/2.8 and i'm working on the 3hp briggs next and 3hp predator after.

joshua. c.

if u can find a way to fit the ARC briggs 3 hp billet flywheel to the doodlebug engine it may solve your issue. preventing another blow up.