Bird Baja Go Kart

nightgrider

In all the photos online of the Baja that I've found (which are very sparse). I've never seen one with a seat like mine. The seats are always 1. Non-existent, 2. Crudely homemade, or 3. Simple but clean upholstered seat. Mine is a molded foam over a plywood base (I assume to be the factory seat). The condition the seat is now is basically how it as been the whole time I've owned the go kart. I used to use a sporting event seat cushion on the bottom to help save my tailbone as a kid. I need to hit up my local upholstery shop to see if they can replicate this design in a new cover. I always thought it looked pretty cool.

Attachments

nightgrider

The other day I went to a local upholstery shop and had them quote recovering the go kart seat. They quoted around $250 for the top and bottom, I'm going to check a few other local shop. But for the size and custom work it sounds like it is in the right ball park.

Harquebus

That is a neat way to do the seat, the original molded foam, and it looks durable and super comfy.

Most go kart (fun kart) seats are a very very minimalist affair; just like the sporting event seat cushion you described, foam with a vinyl cover stitched on and sometimes with a racing stripe. It still results in a sore butt.

nightgrider

Got some time to work on the old go-kart today. I cut off the old bolts holding on the seat bottom. Now I need to get new bases made for the bottom and back. I also suck out a lot of crud out of the gas tank. Also got the engine started. It isn't running great but good enough to cruise around the yard a bit. Costco graciously provided a temporary racing seat for the first drive in about 14 years or so.

Attachments

nightgrider

I finally found some reference photos of the decal for the Baja. With these and what is left of my decal (mostly for dimensions and placement), I should be able to recreate the graphic. (The 3rd image is my decal) Not sure what it would cost to have the decal printed on vinyl, but I'll look into that once I get the graphic finished.

Attachments

nightgrider

I'm toying with the idea of going back to handlebars for the go kart. I picked up a bicycle for free little awhile back and it has some similar style handlebars. Since I found out the go kart originally had a twist throttle. That has intrigued me ever since. I guess the real determining factor will be if I can steer with the handlebars. That's why I originally removed them. I got too tall and couldn't steer as the handlebars hit my knees. But this time I'd raise the bars a bit and with the twist throttle I wouldn't need to work a pedal with my foot.

I also chuckled at how many nuts I had holding the steering wheel on. But I also did have a steering wheel come off a previous go kart while driving when I was younger. So maybe I just wanted some more insurance on this one. Haha

Attachments

nightgrider

Unfortunately it is a no go on the handlebars. Still the same clearance issue with my legs as when I was a teen. Even if used a twist throttle and raised the handle bars. I'm just too tall for the frame, and I'm not even that tall (5'8"). The butterfly steering wheel will be staying.

nightgrider

I've hit a bit of snag in the go kart project. Was trying to remove the rear wheels and the wheels seem to be rusted to the axles. It seems to have been this way for a long time. I can't ever remember having the rear wheels off, while I've owned the go kart. There was no key present in one of the axel, but the wheel has been driving the kart fine.

Any ideas on extracting the wheels from the axles? I tried persuading them off with a 2x4 and a sledge. And getting a pry bar and rapping the end of the axle with a copper hammer, like to get a flywheel off. But with no luck.

Just doing research and glad I found this thread, here is my bird I’m rebuilding for my kids in hope someone can help me figure out what size torque converter was used considering I need to get a new drive pulley but want to match whatever the factory driven pulley is. All original steering and brakes and I’m 5’6 and yeah steering is a big issue especially after I put a fiberglass bucket seat however my 7 year old daughter is perfect fit for now.

nightgrider

Just doing research and glad I found this thread, here is my bird I’m rebuilding for my kids in hope someone can help me figure out what size torque converter was used considering I need to get a new drive pulley but want to match whatever the factory driven pulley is. All original steering and brakes and I’m 5’6 and yeah steering is a big issue especially after I put a fiberglass bucket seat however my 7 year old daughter is perfect fit for now.
I'm definitely no expert, but judging by the headlight mount that is present on your frame. Yours looks like the larger Baja Magnum measuring the overall width and length is the best way to know, which Baja you have. They manufactured two versions. The smaller Baja and the larger Baja Magnum. The Magnum came with an 8 hp Tecumseh engine, I believe those have an 1 inch output shaft. So I would think it would have came with a Comet 40 series Drive Clutch. The below image can help you identify which driven pulley you have to match the drive clutch. Though from your above picture it looks like an asymmetric belt driven pulley, which would lean to a 30 series, but it is a little hard to see from that angle. But a lot of time has passed since these go karts were new, and any sort of information and documentation is very difficult to find. A lot of changes could have happened along the way.

1675992392365.png
1675992720012.png

Last edited:

nightgrider

Finally getting warm around my neck of the woods. Picked up a pallet for free at work. Did some rough cuts on it today to make it it easier to handle. Should be perfect bases for the old go kart seat.

Attachments