Bird front fork help

markus

sometimes you can get lucky using a rubber strap wrench around the spring to twist them out of the cups, I rarely have any luck doing them that way but its the first thing I try at least before break anything else out.

D905E47F-9E08-48AC-AAEF-8BF0D09FBF15.jpeg
sometimes you can get lucky using a rubber strap wrench around the spring to twist them out of the cups, I rarely have any luck doing them that way but its the first thing I try at least before break anything else out.
The spring threads in turn the lower shock tube and they will move . Spray oil helps

Ok thanks guys. When I get to work today I’ll let it soak in some penetrating oil and try to break it loose tonight. If it doesn’t work I’ll pick your brain is more.

Last edited:

Biffmini

Pull wheel & twist fork lower off of spring then twist spring off it upper cup. BAM Springs are off. Clean springs up then reassemble. Upper could be replaced & welded better. OldMiniBikes Warehouse has what you need.

Pull wheel & twist fork lower off of spring then twist spring off it upper cup. BAM Springs are off. Clean springs up then reassemble. Upper could be replaced & welded better. OldMiniBikes Warehouse has what you need.
I’m cutting off the welds on the cop holders as we speak. Whoever had the bike before not only welded them on there they wild all the way through to the actual pipe. I got to welds cut through and the forks finally move. I’m gonna try to cut all the worlds off . And whatever pieces or plates I need to make I can do here at work ( we have a Bridgeport)

I really thought I had a good 70 bird mini. After lots of grinding. I got the forks apart. It looks like they used the original forks and added a front suspension to it. They cut another set of forks up and tried to weld it all together but didn’t do such a good job. The front suspension never worked out. But the idea is there. I’ll have a work buddy weld everything I grinded down. But a bit disappointed in all the work I’ll have to put in to fix someone else’s screw up.