Bird Lark

That minirat is a SEARS RUNABOUT if sold threw SEARS or a WREN if sold directly from BIRD ENGINEERING. Handle bars look a little different than my SEARS RUNABOUT. My handlebars are straight up and not bent out and my bars are 1 inch bars instead of 7/8 inch.

does this look like it resembles the clutch cover bracket? i couldnt find any numbers on the plate or anywhere on the bike. and do these holes on the plate help I.D. which bike it is, if it is the original motor plate.

Last edited:
That minirat is a SEARS RUNABOUT if sold threw SEARS or a WREN if sold directly from BIRD ENGINEERING. Handle bars look a little different than my SEARS RUNABOUT. My handlebars are straight up and not bent out and my bars are 1 inch bars instead of 7/8 inch.
His Stock bars were straight up and down and 1" dia. We bent the bars forward to accommodate his 6' 2" frame.

It looks a like Sears-Roper. The stamped numbers might be filled with paint. Lightly sand the motor plate or use some paint remover to see them.

Deezildennis I have that same bike as your buddys. NICE JOB on it! Not a lot of info but two brochure ads on minidoodle under SEARS ads.

Gbones the holes in the plate are for the return springs for the scrub brake. The odd ball hole to the bottom left i have no clue on but my bike has it to.

Right in front of whats left of that bracket on the front edge of the motor plate is where my numbers are stamped. I didn't see mine till I had the frame media blasted.

I'm looking at the 1969 Mini Bike Magazine, 1969 Christmas buying guide. They list the Duck, Lark and the Falcon along with all the specs. From what I can tell by looking through various years of the Magazine's the Lark was made in 68-69-70.. The Duck and the Falcon was 69-70. The lark is a ridged bike with a 3 1/2 Tec, 5" wheels and suggested retail was $140 or $150 with a light and mirror. The Duck has rear suspension and 6" wheels and retailed for $160.00 The Falcon had a 4HP Tec 6" wheels and full suspension, Retail price $180 or $186.00 with a chrome muffler.
These specs are from the '69 Christmas guide. Take them for what there worth? There are some differences because the '70 buyers guide shows the Falcon with 5" wheels?

Randy :scooter:

I Went out to the shop and checked mine for #'s

I Found a number 5.....nothing else just a 5 LOL!

I Dont have any of the extra holes and the only thing thats welded on the drive side is the Chain guard post and the scrub brake stop everything thats in this pic. And Again...4" wheel in the front and 5" wheel in the back....

Last edited:
Looks like a Lark if that is the right sissy bar, or it could be a Sears Spyder with a taller sissy bar with springs. But most likely a Lark. By the looks of that steering neck It is the first version built around 69 I think. Both had bicycle seats and seat posts and sissy bars. But still both made by Bird Engineering. Don't forget handlebars are different also Sears are bent down at the grips where Factory Birds are bent back at the grips.

The bike is a one owner, The guy I Got it from said his parents got it in 1967 for Christmas. He and his Dad stated it was a "Lark" and stated "They had Different Models named after Fowl"...

So they Knew what they were talking about.

They also stated at one point in time they rigged a
"Springer Duck seat on it but it sat too tall because they didnt whack the Banana seat stem down."

I think I gave $75 for it at a swap meet here locally.

Last edited:
gbones that is a Sears-Roper. Built for Sears-Roper by Bird Engineering I think it is called the Drover but don't take my word on it, but it is a Sears-Roper version I don't Know how to decode the numbers yet. Have not found info on numbers yet. The neck brace is the Sears-Roper trademark. Early 70's

great info guys. the more info the better. i just want to know what bike i have. i must know everything. so from my pics, and number's, what bike is mine? i know im a pain in the a$$, but im laid off, bored and been drinking franzia. thanks

Here's my guess. They're all Birds. A rose by any other name is still a rose. Same with Birds. I don't think Roper ever made anything. They contracted with Sears and sub contracted to other manufacturers. Roper appliances were made by someone else, then had Roper tags on them. Wouldn't surprise me if Bird even made the Sears mini with the motor plate/swing arm suspension.

I agree with you Randy you can pen point the sellers versions but the models are a little tuff, unless you bought it new and have all the paper work with the options on it and what model year and make. IF you do it's like "GOLD" your in there.