Bird Mini Cycle, good riding or “eh”

I haven’t been able to dig up much on the way they ride, friendly or otherwise. I’m pondering putting some time and parts into one with what looks like, at first glance, the original Tec 5. Hopefully some folks have a frequent rider with thoughts.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

cfh

I like 10" and 12" wheel bikes myself. The ones i have all have a torque converter and a tecumseh 4 or 5hp motor. I really like this vintage set up. I have one with a predator motor and frankly, though it runs great and has lots of power, it's just not my cup of tea. The 14" wheel models are cool too, but me thinks the 10 and 12" models are more to my liking.

markus

Probably help to specify which model you have...Bird made a few different mini cycle type bikes from 1971/72-1986/87 with various suspensions.

I haven’t been able to dig up much on the way they ride, friendly or otherwise. I’m pondering putting some time and parts into one with what looks like, at first glance, the original Tec 5. Hopefully some folks have a frequent rider with thoughts.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

markus

Its a hard tail with no springs on the forks either.
go out on a limb and say its a thunderturd type bike with the wagon spoke wheels? they are small for an adult, lacking good brakeing, with really skinny wheels.

I've only owned one, I had to buy it to get another bike, it was a beater with a weak engine but I was still able to ride it before I sold it off. It was not something I would have wanted to invest any money into as a rider, Maybe if I had a small kid but your really crammed on it for a "mini cycle" if you an adult.

go out on a limb and say its a thunderturd type bike with the wagon spoke wheels? they are small for an adult, lacking good brakeing, with really skinny wheels.

I've only owned one, I had to buy it to get another bike, it was a beater with a weak engine but I was still able to ride it before I sold it off. It was not something I would have wanted to invest any money into as a rider, Maybe if I had a small kid but your really crammed on it for a "mini cycle" if you an adult.
Yup, wagon spoke wheels. Pretty small looking bike for an adult.
Thanks for taking the time to help me.
Steve

Something odd, the three larger Birds, T-Bird, Spoker, Nighthawk, all had springer front forks.
And yes brakes are almost non existent on them. But toss the wimpy engine and install a Predator, and they will haul two adults around. Granted it looks silly, but they make great pit bikes.
two idiots.jpg hemi evol tweety bird.jpg

Something odd, the three larger Birds, T-Bird, Spoker, Nighthawk, all had springer front forks.
And yes brakes are almost non existent on them. But toss the wimpy engine and install a Predator, and they will haul two adults around. Granted it looks silly, but they make great pit bikes.
View attachment 237273 View attachment 237274
Thanks for taking the time to post this. This all helps me make a decision on which bike in the fleet to spend time with next.

markus

I believe it was most of the later Thunderbirds that were non suspended forks,Internet and this site is riddled with photos of them. Maybe SAT will be nice enough to pull the numbers off the engine to tell a year made to help narrow time frame down.

I believe it was most of the later Thunderbirds that were non suspended forks,Internet and this site is riddled with photos of them. Maybe SAT will be nice enough to pull the numbers off the engine to tell a year made to help narrow time frame down.
Will do, but it might not be till next year.
Thanks for the post!