Bird Nighthawk/Thunderbird Build

Hey yall, its been awhile since ive actually posted a project on the forum, although i have been VERY busy. Just finished three bikes for my uncle and nephews, sold my bronco (still smacking myself for it) got rid of my bonanza project, and have pretty much cut my collection down to one bike.. for now (; So i figured if im going to limit myself to one bike, why not go balls to the walls with it and do it up as best as the budget allows??
SO with that being said, Heres what ive got.

Drive Sprocket spacer

pictures still arent working for me guys.. guess ill just have to keep you on your toes until i can post a youtube video
Here's two photos you may want to look at. I used a Ford Racing Pulley adapter on my Nighthawk to properly space the sprocket from the 10" wheel. Fairly easy to do and I can send you detailed instructions on how make sure it's centered. The bike is so small, the torque of the pred is going to yank hard on the 10 inch rim.

Attachments

Dr. Shop I'll be using a flat sprocket. I don't think I'll need all that fancy stuff. Vwfan used some simple aluminum tubing spacers on his continental so I think I'll be going with that

Dr. Shop I'll be using a flat sprocket. I don't think I'll need all that fancy stuff. Vwfan used some simple aluminum tubing spacers on his continental so I think I'll be going with that
Good luck. I'll be interested in seeing how you do it. I used the pulley adapter ($20) because I didn't have access to a machine shop to make spacers to get the wheel and sprocket centered. The sprocket has less than 1/4" of tolerance to the frame once it the wheel is installed--#35 just barely fits.

What about the angle of engine? I'm building a Shortster (am also doing a build log) and someone pointed out the angle would cause problems with the engine. I'm wanting to modify the frame to both keep the engine level and get the look I want. I'm new to this, are you expecting any problems with the engine at that angle?

I do really like the 10" wheels. Good choice.

Last edited:
What about the angle of engine? I'm building a Shortster (am also doing a build log) and someone pointed out the angle would cause problems with the engine. I'm wanting to modify the frame to both keep the engine level and get the look I want. I'm new to this, are you expecting any problems with the engine at that angle?

I do really like the 10" wheels. Good choice.
Depends on what engine you're using. I had a TEC 3.5 on mine and it ran fine. If you can find a Rupp slanted intake for a TEC H-40/50, you're in good shape. I wouldn't try a Briggs flat head unless you went with an external tank and a TEC style intake/carb. Tecumsehs could be angled to 15 degrees without an angled intake (according to their literature). This is only 5 degrees on the old Nighthawk.

I've heard similar things about the engine angle. I'm going to give it a try but I'm prepared to make a custom intake for it. and shop, we'll just have to see how it goes lol

I've heard similar things about the engine angle. I'm going to give it a try but I'm prepared to make a custom intake for it. and shop, we'll just have to see how it goes lol
I was going to put a Briggs 5hp on mine and had sourced an updraft carb for it, which I think would have worked. I went with the TEC because I couldn't pass up the deal on the motor ($25) and equipped with mini bike linkage. If you go flathead and are interested in the updraft--it's complete with governor linkage, PM me. We can work a deal.