black mamba cam

Danny01

when installing the black mamba cam do I need to get new valve springs right away, or can I wait a little while before I get them?
will the engine run correctly without them?

Yes you do need new springs. The mamba will rev to 8,000 with the 26 pound springs that it needs . The cam really doesn't start making power till close to 4,000 . So with the stock springs you will start making power and then float the valves at about 5,500 or so . What I'am saying is you'll have a motor that has about 2,000 useable RPM's of motor .
Just get the right springs in when you build it and all will be good.

Danny01

Yes you do need new springs. The mamba will rev to 8,000 with the 26 pound springs that it needs . The cam really doesn't start making power till close to 4,000 . So with the stock springs you will start making power and then float the valves at about 5,500 or so . What I'am saying is you'll have a motor that has about 2,000 useable RPM's of motor .
Just get the right springs in when you build it and all will be good.
that's all I needed to know, thanks Davivd!

I just put a Black Mamba cam in my predator hemi and found it hitting the crank. To fix it just remove the crank , to do that remove the piston also cause the crank won't come out if you don't.
My cam was hitting the crank on the edge of the journal. I just taped up the journal and grind the edges , worked great. good luck.

Just put the springs in right away cause you dont want to float a valve and hit the piston putting a hole in it.
Springs are cheap and not hard to install. I modified a large c clamp. buy the split keepers and alum retainers for the springs.
The stock retainers are junk, the split keepers are like auto keepers.

Last edited:
do yourself a favor and just got for the 37 lb springs. i bought a race head loaded with 28lb springs an ended up floating them and junking a race head. Later talked to the vendor for a replacment head and he said they have had a few issues like that and no all the heads they order have 37lb springs in them, these were NR heads as well.