Blackwidow for Windber 2013

I got it almost done. And in time for Windber. This is a bike i've been wanting to build for some time. I started with a 72 Rupp/JC Penny's swinger roller and parts I have been gathering for some time now. I used a very clean a low hour HS50 off a snow blower, One the cleanest engines I ever found. I don't think it had 2 hours of use on it. and it cost me a 6 pack of Canadian brew. Ported the intake and exhaust. Remove compression release from the cam, Remover governor parts, New exhaust lifter and set valve lash. lap valves also. Polished under side of valve stems. Made one of my Carburetor adaptors to run a 20mm PZ type Carb. I painted it with Duplicolor jet black they sell in quart cans with the clear and primer they sell also. It turn out good for my first time using auto grade type paint. Added new Wescon cables, bearings through out bike, new tires and tubes. Just got the new seat and some other parts and installed them today. Need to do some fine tuning on the bike, but it's getting close.
I,m Happy, Happy, Happy, :thumbsup:

I'm Happy Because its finally done.:laugh: Its a lot of time consuming hours redoing a Rupp bike properly. And money spent. Now its time to make some noise with it.

delray

i see the handle bars are kind of forward. must be for a bigger kid.....:laugh:
i will see you at windber......:thumbsup:

delray

running a 22mm/clone carb on a big block stock 5hp briggs and still had to drill out the jet .003 over and still running little lean.......:shrug: how does your plug look? did you have to go little bigger on the jet with the small block hs50.

how do you like using the automotive paint. 10x better then a spray can and it is tuff as nails.......:thumbsup: bike looks good........:scooter:

Thanks Delray. I like the automotive paint. I had a harbor freight HLVP gun and a inline air dyer with a filter at the gun. I put 4 coats of black down until it like the looks of it, then 2 coats of clear, Its very shiny compared to buzz can paint job and the gas hasn't effected it like spray can paint. Learning to adjust the gun the hardest part. It should get easy as I do more.
My carb I drilled out the main jet and pilot. It stumbles off idle, I tried adjusting the needle but doesn't make a difference. I may have to go bigger on the main still. Once it going it revs good from mid range and up. Its get frustrating sometimes and I have to put it back in the garage. Also these small engine with out compression release are hard to start. I about pick the whole bike up if you don't get it to the compression stroke first. I need to get a new spark plug ,the in it is used and I couldn't find a cj8 plug in all the new plugs I have in my storage bin.

It really looks great Pat, I hope i can get to test it out at windber! And if we need to mess with the carb at windber i know mike carries around a bunch of jets! good job sir!

Thanks Greg, I'm sure you will be testing it out. :laugh: We need to set up next to each other at the show again. I think tomorrow I'm going to take the carb of the Hustler I did in 08 and see if it works on it better and also compare to see what size I drilled them out to.

delray

Also these small engine with out compression release are hard to start. I about pick the whole bike up if you don't get it to the compression stroke first. and you said it stumbles off idle
first thing you need to do is re-time the bike. if you are lifting the bike of the ground? timing is way off. fix that first and then see how your fuel system is.........:thumbsup:

delray

minibikedude, here is a quote from randy on a thread about timing. your timing has to be off if your lifting the bike. maybe just double check it again.....:shrug:

You just need a caliper that can measure depth. Brandt told me this trick you just measure .35 BTDC from the block deck to the top of the piston and reassemble the engine being really careful to not bump or move the crank while installing the head and mag assembly, then you set your point gap to .20 on the highest part of the lobe then connect a volt meter using the diode setting and turn the mag until the volt meter shows the connection broke then lock the stator down and its done.

Thanks Delray, I guess I got my work cut out for me today. I'll give it a shot. Because of the time frame to Windber if it doesn't work today I'm temporally pirating the engine from my Hustler to put in the BW to get it to the show this year.