Blazer(Tote Gote) Briggs Magneto

I inherited a Blazer mini bike that has the original 3hp Briggs and Stratton 1962 motor. I am trying to get it running first before a full restoration as it has sentimental value to the family.

We are not receiving a spark at the plug. I have cleaned and adjusted the points, new spark plug, new throttle cable and housing, cleaned the carburetor, tank was luckily empty and put new fuel in and made sure the lines were clear, and adjusted the magneto to be a business card away from the flywheel. The magneto measures 5.5k Ohms from the spark plug clips to the engine ground. Still no luck. No visible spark when the plug is out and grounded on the head.

I wouldn't mind converting this to an electronic ignition but I can not seem to find the correct kit. The model engine is 80302. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

20200502_181231.jpg 20200502_181121.jpg 20200502_152521.jpg

I've dealt with a few of these real old ones.. that is indeed the old 4 post coil otherwise know as unobtanuim in complete form. I was lucky to get one from across the pond on ebay.uk from Meadowbrook. I did run across a replacement armature only last fall without the laminated frame, seemed easier to find..I will grab the number from it later today for you and post it up..

I've dealt with a few of these real old ones.. that is indeed the old 4 post coil otherwise know as unobtanuim in complete form. I was lucky to get one from across the pond on ebay.uk from Meadowbrook. I did run across a replacement armature only last fall without the laminated frame, seemed easier to find..I will grab the number from it later today for you and post it up..
Thank you. I wonder though the #591420 part mentioned earlier would work with only two bolts? This part seems readily available and doesn't break the bank.

Thank you. I wonder though the #591420 part mentioned earlier would work with only two bolts? This part seems readily available and doesn't break the bank.
Well as luck would have it the box top is missing and has 291617 written on it’s side. It does match up to the coil on my Gote..
I did poke around and there is one in the land down under ending soon on feebay..It‘ll be hard to find one on this continent..link below..
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=362979163052 4B40B91E-C677-40EF-9861-BAC2065910A6.jpeg

nice project! Call APD Power Center in Tempe AZ... They've found me some of the oldest, remote impossible parts on the planet.. they are helpful and have the 411...

480-838-7472

go electronic, get rid of the old BS! have fun mate

Well I got the bike running using the original magneto and points setup. There was a small 18awg wire on the backside that looks like broke off the top of the magneto.

The new electronic ignition did not work as the legs that pickup the electrical current over the magnets in the flywheel was a different angle to the flywheel. For example the flywheel is a 8" diameter, the new electronic ignition legs were for a 10" flywheel and weren't close enough to the flywheel to pickup the magnetic current.

I need to really deep clean the carb now because it will only run with the choke on.

old shed finds

Well I got the bike running using the original magneto and points setup. There was a small 18awg wire on the backside that looks like broke off the top of the magneto.

The new electronic ignition did not work as the legs that pickup the electrical current over the magnets in the flywheel was a different angle to the flywheel. For example the flywheel is a 8" diameter, the new electronic ignition legs were for a 10" flywheel and weren't close enough to the flywheel to pickup the magnetic current.

I need to really deep clean the carb now because it will only run with the choke on.
Good you got it running.This has the same 1/2 choke on for running. Our orfice tube is more likely plugged at few holes.
This one has had the 80s 90s electrotron coil flywheel swap..good spark but boggy carburetor. ...
Shown in photo 2 is a 10 buck non running Briggs to do the coil swap..

Attachments