blur the line Tractor / Minibike

KB2ROCKET

it is my intent to design a mini that will serve as a work horse I have made a 3 wheeled mini by adding 2 large trencher tires on either side of a heathkit Boonie bike but we all know the problems with trikes and uneven ground it will point you down hill in a hurry. then I saw rokons these bikes really fit the bill but are a bit complex to build a cvt trans and two 90 degree gear boxes shafts universals ect. and they tend to be expensive . then I have seen minis with two inline powered rear wheels but I don't have any experience with how well these work . maybe someone can chime in your thoughts .
the intended purpose is to transport building materials and supplies to a remote area with challenging terrain so this bike will be all about traction torque and cargo.
please give me your thoughts on this
thank you all
Keith

Tote Gote, and the various relatives. They've been doing that for years. Traction, torque and cargo pulling ability. The design is already there. Not as sexy as a Rokon, but not as difficult to design, or as expensive to build/maintain either.

KB2ROCKET

I have been thinking about this all day and I think that I can build a better (for my needs) ROKON style 2x2 bike
mine will be heavier with more aggressive tires a much more powerful engine and will have a suspension that the Rokon lacks except some of the newer ones have a front suspension I already have the engine GX390 the wheels and trencher tires and the snowmobile torque converter mine wont have any floatation but should have superior ground clearance for going through knee deep muck now the question is to try and convert the Boonie bike or start form scratch :laugh::smile:

You gonna have the same problem as me (rare in the south) but I've wanted to get my hands on some tracks off a snow blower and slap under the rear of a mini. They should spread out and stay of top of the muck.

Sadly snow stuff is like unicorn tears this side of the mason dixon.

You gonna have the same problem as me (rare in the south) but I've wanted to get my hands on some tracks off a snow blower and slap under the rear of a mini. They should spread out and stay of top of the muck.

Sadly snow stuff is like unicorn tears this side of the mason dixon.
Snowblower tracks are no good in the mud. Its too slippery and they come off the plastic rollers.

Hello KB2Rocket....

I would not recommend a boonie bike frame if you plan to climb hills....my reason is the 'forward slanting' rear downtubes....too much juice, and that frame will plant you on your butt....

don't ask me how I know....:shrug:...:anon.sml:....:laugh:....!!

Whatever you do, keep us posted. Also, check out Jeep2003's 2X2 build...it's very cool...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

KB2ROCKET

Thanks all of jeep2003's work is top notch
What I am shooting for is a heavy-duty more powerful version of the rokon . This is.a.tall order as those machines are pretty solid

Was thinking the same thing, Rokon too high and wanted the load down load where you could manage it AND use your feet. Like the Homelite Trail King frame but with big wheels. Seen some clowns with Colemans mini atv tires bucking and tipping over little rocks on what must have been the Senators Highway in AZ as I recall. Also watched a guy on a tote goat getting kicked off a pickup road by little rocks. My old Super bronc would have rolled right over those. No load carrying capacity though.

Wasn't too sure about those rocking suspension three wheel 'mini-bikes' either, didn't know if they could turn with a load on. Would definitely supply more traction and soften the ride. Couldn't find those two speed transmissions the trail kings had either. Lots of parts to buy and time to build, but it would sure fit nice on a front bumper!

I would like a rear deck 18" wide to put boxes and cargo on with a removable frame around to strap things down and protect it in a spill, which will happen. 150# payload with one BIG tire that can support all that. have any idea what kind of tire with a maximum height of 22" can be had for a rear wheel? I've seen pictures of them. Must have been 16" wide.

I prefer the all chain style drive vs 90 deg gearboxes.... it is simpler, less parasitic drag, and much easier to fabricate. My 2x2 is basically what you described minus suspension. The 3x3 has the same type front drive, just smaller. The 3x3 is MUCH easier to trail ride because of the light weight. Weight is your enemy offroad and the 2x2 is simply too heavy.

Winch for pulling Rokons out when they get stuck.

Last edited: