Bolting forks to frame; just a nut and bolt?

desert rat

Just wanted to post up what I use for fork pivot "tube". As you can see there is no seem to deal with and is ready available at the big box store down the street and cheep. Cut the threads off , cut to just over length , square the ends and weld into the frame. The bushing fit right in. Paint to match.

Attachments

nightgrider

Just wanted to post up what I use for fork pivot "tube". As you can see there is no seem to deal with and is ready available at the big box store down the street and cheep. Cut the threads off , cut to just over length , square the ends and weld into the frame. The bushing fit right in. Paint to match.
This is my exact plan for the frame I'm planning on building.

There is clearly a seam on that pipe nipple. I wouldn’t use that on my bikes because of safety. But I tend to overbuild my stuff just in case. I have crashed a few times and that hurts lmao
Prefer DOM tubing over pipe but that’s just me.

mustangfrank

There is clearly a seam on that pipe nipple. I wouldn’t use that on my bikes because of safety. But I tend to overbuild my stuff just in case. I have crashed a few times and that hurts lmao
I agree, a metal supply house or internet for small pieces is just too easy. I'd be just as concerned with grinding and welding on whatever Chinese coating the hardware store pipe has on it...galvanized, zinc, ???

desert rat

That tube has no seem, nun. You remove the zinc with pool acid for welding/ working.

desert rat

That will work to. Pool acid is instant but as you said can be dangerous. I do a lot of things that kids or feeble minded should not, MOST people only cut there fingers off once I got a second chance.

Hey guys. I know this is probably really simple, but is bolting the forks to the frame of the mini bike really just as simple as finding a bolt that fits in the neck and then tightening it down with a nut? Does there need to be a bearing or anything to help the forks and handlebars rotate, or is it really just a simple nut and bolt?

yeah... just try not to think about it when your attempting a new land speed record... helps the pucker factor

desert rat

If you got to blow it up that far to find it you got a problem. We are not building space ships here. A seem is a joint that causes a rise in the metal. You are going to this extreme ...... Do you have your welds x-rayed after you lay them in ,do you heat anneal your frames after building, do you bead blast your frames after heat treat to releave surface stresses? Do you request (spec.) your metal only come from USA foundries. If you are going to go this far to find a joint your missing the rest of the steps.. You win put you trophy on the shelf

nightgrider

A lot of mini bike and go kart diy build instructions from the 60's call out using black pipe for the frames. To each their own, but I really think it comes down to how the bike will be used. If it is an all out drag bike or built for high speed, yes better materials should be used for safety. But if it is just a putt around the yard/trail bike at 10-15 mph, black pipe should be more that sufficient. It's main drawbacks are it doesn't bend nicely and it is heavy due to the thick wall. DOM is stronger, lighter, and bends cleaner. I'm not here to start any arguments. I think we all just want to have fun and enjoy the hobby, but do it as safely as we can. Cheers

Last edited:
Here it is not blown up

It clearly has a seam. You said it didn't.
Going on and on about how we are not building spaceships doesn't make that seam go away.
Build your bikes however you want, but don't lie to members here. And if you're wrong just admit it, everyone makes mistakes nobody's perfect.

BTW this is nothing personal. I'm not trying to be a jerk. But on anything that takes a decent amount of weight, or anything that human beings or children will be riding/drivng, i prefer to err on the side of caution.
Will it be fine?
Maybe. But also maybe not. And that's a big maybe not.
But considering the fact that injuries could occur, and also the often poor quality of pipe made "offshore", i see no reason to use pipe, and proper tubing is not that much more expensive. To me it's worth the peace of mind for a couple dollars.
This is just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
I can't in good conscience recommend pipe for that application, maybe i'm being too careful.
But in a way, can you be too careful?
I'm not saying we should all use super thick wall titanium tubing, TIG welded inside a purge chamber, with gussets at every connection. That might be a little overkill lmao.
But if you're trying to save money, i just don't think safety is where anyone should cut corners. Many have done so and regretted that decision. Just sayin'.

Try Stock Car Steel. They have everything that a fabricator need metal wise. I have actually been to the store and it is amazing how much steel selection they have. They don't carry massive pieces like 20'' square tubing for support structures but they have anything one could need to build a Nascar frame or a motorcycle frame or any number of things that get built here on this forum. I have bought a bunch of steel from Stock Car Steel and it is always clean new steel and ships quickly. Very happy with them and there service.

Stock Car Steel & Aluminum - Charlotte, NC - Stock Car Metal

Stock Car Steel and Aluminum | eBay Stores

Race City Steel | eBay Stores

Industrial Metal Sales | eBay Stores

Items for sale by weldingatefabrication1_3 | eBay