Bonanza 1300 Blue Color ?

Midyrman

I think I have some good ideas on the Tecumseh white from another thread so the next question is what is everyone using for the frame blue?

Thanks

Tom

69h1

I just finished painting my BC1100 a few weeks ago using PPG brand automotive basecoat & clearcoat. I had another Bonanza frame with the original paint still on it to match the color to. I used the painted areas that were not faded by sunlight such as under the seat, the bottom underside of the engine mount plate and the backside of the badge mount plate on the forks to match the color. I sprayed out a few test panels to check the color and I got a perfect match by using 75% of the 1966 Corvette Nassau blue (code 976) and then adding about 25% of the 1968 Corvette international blue code (978) to it to get the correct color match. So in other words I started with a 3/4 quart full can of Nassau blue and added the international blue color to fill the remaining quart full and mixed it together well. You dont need to mix a whole quart. You can mix a lot smaller amounts but I wanted to have extra paint if I wanted to do any more frames or to have paint in case my frame got scratched.

69h1

Also I will try to post some pictures maybe in a few days of the finished bike so you can see the color. I am still assembling it back together. I did a full restoraion on it.

Midyrman

That would be great to see pictures. My frame is stripped to bare metal and almost ready to prime. There are a couple of good threads on priming, sanding and sealing the primer coat.

I am not a real painter, so to speak, and might be limited to spay cans. But you never know. Since you used Corvette colors I also had mentioned to me that 1966 Chevelle Marina Blue was a good match.......which I would think would also include 1967 Corvette Marina Blue.

Do you sand the base coat? How many coats?

Are you clear coating? Do you need to sand and polish the clear coat?

Now you see why I am not a painter----- so many questions!!

69h1

Well what I did was took my frame to a powdercoater, had them bead blast it for the best possible adhesian of a base for painting especially in the hard to reach areas and around the weld areas and powdercoat in a light grey color that matched primer color. Then I wet sanded the powder coat with 500 grit wet/dry sandpaper before painting the base coat color. I know this was more expensive to do it this way but this was a very important project to me and I wanted to be assured there would be no flaking or peeling of the paint in those hard to get at areas. I also wanted to have the most durable finish so I also catalized the basecoat with a catylyst the same as catalizing the clearcoat. I did not sand the basecoat but you can if you get flaws in it. I was lucky that it came out very nice so I did not have to sand. If you do sand the basecoat you will need to spray a couple of more coats on to hide any sand scratches in the basecoat before you clear it. I put on about 4 or so coats until covered. It just depends on the color, some cover faster than others. I also did not color sand the clear or polish as it came out very nice also. Looking at my color chips the 67' and 66' marina blue seems to look the same shade. But that is not always the case because the 978 color code blue on a 66' Corvette is a total different shade of blue that I mentioned before of the 978 color code that is from the 68' Corvette. Yes painting is not something you learn overnight. Painting cars and cycles has been my profession for over 40 years and have probably seen every paint problem that could ever happen. Just take your time , practice and stick with it and you will be proud of your work!