bonanza 2 stoke project

edwin

well here i am, i went ahead and started the project that i said i would if i didnt sell this 2 stroke briggs engine i had laying around, im really not to sure what it cam off of, im guessing a lawn mower or something.

well here i started with some motor mount templates made from and old dominoes pizza box.

first the bike im using for a chasis is none other than a bonanza.

heres a vid of the engine running

YouTube - briggs 2 stroke start up.

more pics of the progress.

Last edited:

edwin

Have you put a tach on that engine to see how high it revs? A normal clutch might not work.
once i get a motor mount built and a pipe. i will see how hight it revs.
do i need a expansion chamber pipe ?
whats a normal clutch like a max torque ? why not work ?

you think a horstman 2 disk gl will work ?

Well, I dont know much anything about 2 strokes, but i'm guessing you would need one, but i'm not sure. And the reason I wounder if a kart type clutch would or wouldent work is because of how high the two strokes rev, the clutch might pre-engage.

edwin

Well, I dont know much anything about 2 strokes, but i'm guessing you would need one, but i'm not sure. And the reason I wounder if a kart type clutch would or wouldent work is because of how high the two strokes rev, the clutch might pre-engage.
well hopefully in the near future, we will see what will come of this project.

Clutch trouble

Hi Edwin: I'm worried you're gonna melt that clutch and have a fire. I'm not sure a regular clutch will work well at much higher rpms. The clutch may be engaged and getting hot the whole time, depends on what rpm you can get the engine to idle at. Maybe a TAV might work better, but there's one way to find out, run it with the clutch and see if it works!

edwin

that is awsome how many cc's?
i really wish i knew, and dont even know what it came off of. couldnt be a lawn mower, just by how the carb is mounted.

Hi Edwin: I'm worried you're gonna melt that clutch and have a fire. I'm not sure a regular clutch will work well at much higher rpms. The clutch may be engaged and getting hot the whole time, depends on what rpm you can get the engine to idle at. Maybe a TAV might work better, but there's one way to find out, run it with the clutch and see if it works!
just gonna try a horstman greased lightning with a real high stall. we will see what happens. i guess.

heres more progress, next task some exhaust.

I may be wrong on this, but assuming the clutch is balanced and strong enough to handle the high RPM's, you should be fine. The clutch will still engage at the same RPM and as the speed rises, it should only keep it more engaged. The high reving engine may be happier with a higher stall clutch, but I don't think you'll has a catastrophy or anything with a normal clutch.

7/8" diameter may be a bigger issue for you though

Its just a 2-stroke engine all you have to worry about is the clutch engaging at around the right point in the power band.
I dont think you'll know exactly how to set the clutch until you run it and see how it runs.

A manual clutch would be great I think.

The build looks awesome I love it.