Vintage Bonanza bc1300

Some how I get the feeling that the bike is not going to be too much "RAT". LOL. Good luck with your build.
I’m going to try and make a “better” version of the efenel I built a couple years ago.
B1B35BA5-C362-483A-8DE5-0BB5EFB73BCB.jpeg

I’m going to mount a hodaka tool box in the back too, I’ve found myself needing a few tools over the years at events and I’ve been so far from the truck lol. I think this bike will go with me everywhere.

I want to white wall the tires too with this build. Get it pin stripped by the guy who did my engine last year. Should be a fun build!

Glad to see you are doing the build-off this year! It sounded like you weren't going to enter the last time I talked to you. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with on this one.
I wasnt planning to, just thought that im going to build the bike anyways so why not i guess.

Are you able to join this year?

Took the bike apart today.

The one fork spring end is stuck at the top of the fork. Do I need to take that out? I couldn’t find the thread about when Karen did it with her bike, if anyone has the link that would help.

The rest of the bike, I couldn’t be more pleased with! One of the straitest bikes I’ve rebuilt! Every weld looks great and everything came a part nicely!

Hopefully that spring end isn’t too bad to take out. I’ve sprayed Gibbs throughout the day down the top of the fork and where the bolt is for the cap. 8219F1FA-E38A-47D3-A88B-D266F95F4D4A.jpeg B03D2DE0-B26A-431D-A695-F8F379887871.jpeg

I found a thread that helps, I ordered some 1/2” ball bearings and will keep using Gibbs on it until they come.

Took advantage of the nice weather again today (for this time of year). Welded up a bracket for the tool box and welded up a bracket for the brake cable that was cut off.

Also got the fork and jack shaft bushings out, 2 are broke and 2 were fine.

I will go to a hardware store and see if I can find them. If anyone knows what exactly they are/ where to get them I’d appreciate it.

EFCAB46C-2CCD-45AB-B704-3A0E89B27FDB.jpeg 15E1F0FE-7941-427F-BE80-25050EC984BF.jpeg ECC2F72B-81D3-4973-BE97-5E8475DDA073.jpeg 053A8240-1354-4FA6-A8EC-594F9A9EF46D.jpeg 56545DEE-D965-498F-B6E0-63325489499B.jpeg

Nice job so far. I haven't been able to find any old threads. The new search tool stinks. lol. Yes, OldMiniBikes sells those bushings.
The ball bearings work and of course plenty of soaking. The ones I had was very badly rusted and I had to drill a hole above the plug, heat it up and use a punch to pound it out.

Thanks Karen!

I remember reading through that thread a while back, I found another one that you commented on and went off of that thread. I will be using Gibbs on it for about a week, I don’t think it’s as bad as yours were, the rest of the bike came apart nicely. Hopefully the ball bearings work.

All I have to do is straiten up a fender and get that plug out and it’s ready for powdercoat! I might start building a Powell this winter too

Thanks Karen!

I remember reading through that thread a while back, I found another one that you commented on and went off of that thread. I will be using Gibbs on it for about a week, I don’t think it’s as bad as yours were, the rest of the bike came apart nicely. Hopefully the ball bearings work.

All I have to do is straiten up a fender and get that plug out and it’s ready for powdercoat! I might start building a Powell this winter too
I always shock the frozen mechanism with a hammer of some type, lead copper, a piece of scrap wood and a shop hammer. Some set-up that won’t leave any marks. Then mild heat along with Gibbs and tapping. The plug will slide out easier if the inside surface is clean, honed and slippery.
Hope this helps, nice bike.

Yeah, oldcarcbx, I was planning on just doing that. I don’t need the bushings immediately so I just ordered them. Also just ordered the ball bearings.

Thanks SAT, I already did hone the fork. I was thinking the same thing, get something soft down there so I don’t screw up the plug. I probably will use some heat too, hopefully with some heat and the bearings it will not fight back too much.

Thanks Chipper! It’s the best bike I’ve had to start a build with by far, usually there are a lot of hidden things but not so much with this. Frame isn’t even bent or twisted at all. Just need to straiten a fender up a bit

I got the plug out today, the ballbearings worked great. 383EBC84-29D3-41C9-A317-952C209A2379.jpeg

Looking over this bike I can’t find any bonanza blue, under the frame is just metal underneath that bright blue that is on there now. And behind the fork neck there is black paint underneath the bright blue. I took off a bit of the black paint and it’s just metal underneath that.

This bike looks like it’s been done for years with paint that’s currently on it. I can’t tell if the bike was just sandblasted very well before the black paint or if the bike was originally black? Did bonanza have a factory black bike? 787BAE89-8645-4485-A97E-1C3D5F6502D2.jpeg

I don't think they ever had a black bike. Somebody may of actually did a good job when they repainted the bike. I think you could buy some of the bonanza's in kit form. I kinda remember seeing a post about that and they sent you a can of spray paint in the kit. Don't quote me on that. Lol

I don't think they ever had a black bike. Somebody may of actually did a good job when they repainted the bike. I think you could buy some of the bonanza's in kit form. I kinda remember seeing a post about that and they sent you a can of spray paint in the kit. Don't quote me on that. Lol
I didnt think they had a black bike, but its unusual for someone to get all the original paint off.

That would have been cool, i bought an azusa kit for my neice a while back and that was fun. I can only imagine a bonaza kit. That would make sense if the bike was never bonanza blue though