Bonanza Build- No More Trouble

Frisco57

I've started on a Bonanza rebuild. This bike has sat forgotten in the Pacific Northwest rain for way too long. I'm having trouble getting the inner and outer forks to come apart. Any suggestions how to get the inner and outer forks to come apart? The good news, the wheels restored nicely!

Attachments

Frisco57

Well, no luck yet. I've shot them with PB Blaster daily for a week, tried WD 40 and Gibbs Oil, some Navel Jelly "rust remover"stuff, applied heat from a small propane torch once, tapped (and banged) on them. I've got replacement springs & inners so I can do bad things to the lowers (inners) that are stuck...I'm presently taking a break allow my patience level to build back up to "warrior mode"... BTW the rest of the disassembled parts are starting to look pretty good. Thanks for your suggestions, I'm still working on it.

Attachments

If they are really stuck, you can drill a small hole on top of the forks where the plug is in the forks and get a punch and tap that plug. You can also put ball bearings in the top bars and hammer on that plug.

If they are really stuck, you can drill a small hole on top of the forks where the plug is in the forks and get a punch and tap that plug. You can also put ball bearings in the top bars and hammer on that plug.
That is in the link I posted. Ha. And Hent told me that using cell phones on this site didn't detract from the content. I don't know how you guys even see the photos and posts, much less scroll, and search. Anyway, that ball bearing deal was a Gerry post from way back with the drawing he did. It also has your drill idea at an angle for use with a punch I believe.

Frisco57

I’ve done a ton of them get a torch and heat the area around where they were were bolted and slowly plus down and turn on the lowers. They will come out
Thanks for the how-info. What are you using to push down with? I've been soaking the forks in a bucket of diesel for about two weeks. I'm about to do battle with them again...soon.

Frisco57

Success! I got my front forks and springs to come apart! It was a major production that included a long diesel oil soak & some "steel surgery", re-welding & grinding smooth. Thanks to my buddy Johnny99 and his great welding skills, I'm moving on with the build!

Attachments

Frisco57

Bonanza build update... jack shaft & brake assembly installed. The "Having Trouble" disassembling the forks issue seems like ancient history.

IMG_3106.jpg IMG_3107.jpg IMG_3104.jpg

glad you got it apart but the best penetratin oil i have found so far is a 50/50 mix of acetone and trans fluid. give it a shot next time you get a crusty part to get apart. cool bike