Bonanza build

Triley41395

So I picked up a Bonanza from my uncle who is liquidating a few of his many mini's. I am not going to restore it just trying to make a nice little rider. It's been painted a few different blues over the years but I may try something else. I just can't seem to get a flathead to start as easily a a new ohv so It will have a 212 on it. I'm getting to old to be jerking my brains out to start an engine. Wheels and sprocket seem to be in good shape so I will probably just give them a good cleaning and reuse the original tires. Unfortunately the seat cover is gone and just has flaped vinyl on it and the base is half rotted. I'll just get new vinyl and re-flap it to a new base. The kickstand is half bolted to the frame and a screw thru it also. If I don't have or find a better one I'll be reusing it also. I'll post a few pics as I go along and any suggestions or advice is always welcome. I just don't want to spend the money for a full restore. 20220610_184358.jpg 20220610_184337.jpg 20220610_184409.jpg

Put a vintage flathead Briggs 5Hp on it (very easy starting)= problem solved! About 8 years ago my son installed a (mildy built) Briggs Raptor 3 in a 1968 BC 1300 "restomod". It is one of our best running (and starting) bikes.
Michael

Last edited:

Triley41395

Put a vintage flathead Briggs 5Hp on it (very easy starting)= problem solved! About 8 years ago my son installed a (mildy built) Briggs Raptor 3 in a 1968 BC 1300 "restomod". It is one of our best running (and starting) bikes.
Michael
I'll consider using one, I've got 5 running/riding mini's and none start as easy as my son's DB30 with a predator, but I don't have a briggs on any of them.

Triley41395

Fix the shocks, clean the overspray off the rear brake and sprocket, new seat and have some fun with it.
Do you happen to know how the front springs come out. They are stuck, I haven't tried to get the lowers off yet but I did put a quarter cup of transmission fluid down each side of the handlebars to hopefully loosen them up. I'll let it soak for a couple days first.

I'll consider using one, I've got 5 running/riding mini's and none start as easy as my son's DB30 with a predator, but I don't have a briggs on any of them.
Use the style with the "Pulsa-Jet" (Diaphragm) carb that is bolted to the top of the fuel tank that is on the rear of the engine, NOT the "Flo-Jet" carb that uses a traditional float bowl and the tank bolts to the front of the engine.
Michael

Triley41395

Well the shocks cleaned up nicely. I got the springs ordered along with a new sprocket and most of the parts I need to finish. Actually the the only part I have not ordered are the chain(Hent did not have it)and a clutch because I'm not sure of engine yet. 20220615_170426.jpg 20220612_094424.jpg

Nice little build/resto going on here Triley. Just an FYI- your vintage flathead motors don't "have" to start badly, or run poorly. I'm glad you're keeping an open mind, but either way, this is a cool bike and very complete. Good job.

Nice little build/resto going on here Triley. Just an FYI- your vintage flathead motors don't "have" to start badly, or run poorly. I'm glad you're keeping an open mind, but either way, this is a cool bike and very complete. Good job.
I agree with Dave. All my Flatheads start up easily. When they don’t, it’s usually an easy fix like the diaphragm or dirty carb. Have Fun!

Triley41395

Well I got some of my parts in the mail this week and thank you to Markus for the nice seat and Hent.com for the springs, sprocket and a few other parts. I got the rear shocks done and after a week soaking the front came apart without much trouble at all. Can't reassemble yet because I forgot to get grease but I'll get some this week. It's coming along. Although. I'm not doing a full restoration I think Iwill try to find some of the missing pieces. If you happen to have a tank, headlight, taillight or chain/clutch cover I'd be interested in buying any or all of them. They don't have to be beauty's, but would purchase nice ones or repops.

20220619_105234.jpg 20220619_104348.jpg

Triley41395

Well I picked up a couple frames tonight that came with a 5hp briggs that seems to start right up. For now I'm going to put it on and give it a shot. I'm hoping that it continues to start easily because I do like the looks of a flathead on the older bikes. I think I have everything I need to get it on the road by this Sunday. I'm gonna leave it orange . Screenshot_20220623-204948_Chrome.jpg

Triley41395

Those shoes should still be available. Not sure where the measurement begins and ends, but something between 4.25" and 5"? I'd start with vendors selling Honda z50 wheels and hubs.
I didn't look real hard, but I didn't see an exact match so rather than take a chance I just cleaned and fixed the original. I did notice that there are only 2 bolts holding the sprocket and they are chewed up and cannot be removed correctly so I will have to machine them out. Never a quick or easy build with these old bikes. It's easy to see why the restored bikes are pricey. 20220627_185825.jpg

Triley41395

Well I got the chewed up bolts out and bought some 1/4-20 button heads for them, I know their not flat head but should work good. Have the rims cleaned and the tires soaking to help soften them up. Forgot to order bearings and still haven't gotten chain but those should be easy to find.
20220703_151313.jpg 20220703_151324.jpg