Bonanza chopper repairs

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOwza Markus your work is PHENOMENAL!! :thumbsup: From engines to resto's I can always tell what you bring to the table is always QUILITY!! As the commercial would say "IS IT LIVE OR MEMOREX?" Well sir this is definitely LIVE haha :cool2:

markus

The fate of this bike is up in the air (whether it gets parted, sold as a roller, or finished), but I just got all the parts I had for it in one spot finally. Since I had to get some stuff cleaned up anyway before It would get sold I figured I better at least get it together and make sure things line up etc,. I have to make some bushings for the seat pan still for where the bolts go through, detail some more of the original hardware pieces, and the brake parts as well but It bolted back together so thats a good thing :laugh:

Not real sure what the brake lever should be but the grips were Cherry brand so I just found a true NOS cherry lever with the neat stamped clamp to use

The biggest bummer is I somehow contaminated some spots on the frame before I sprayed :doah: It looked excellent for at least a week after I sprayed, not real sure when it "turned" but a couple of spots showed up from under the paint later on. Its hard to photo, but its visible once its pointed out, Most noticeable area of course is on the top right bar just north of the optional tank mount...possibly visible in the pic above.

No big deal, could not afford chrome or anything like that for this anyway, I have enough paint left over to mix up a few ounces to respray the frame if I feel the urge.

Was going to go full on and install lights, Lighted 1969 HS40, remote tank, and all that good stuff, but when I got the bug to just dump it to get it out of my way I listed the peterson/armacost headlight off on ebay and it sold right away....and the taillight I was going to use is listed currently. So that kinda puts the kibosh on lights if I decide to keep going with it :laugh:

Gotta start cleanup on the original scout guard I got for it, and soak the round tank and go over it real good next.

markus

Thanks guys, OND I'm not a big fan of orange but I have to say I do really like it on this frame :thumbsup:

Every time I decide to get off my duff and actually try to get some work done on a bike so fiasco comes up, this one is no exception. Dealing with some personal issues all last week got int he way just while I was starting to get the ball rolling again on this one :doah: Between that and trying to get parts listed up for sale so I can pay the mortgage etc, put a damper on doing anything "fun". I did manage to get some paint slapped on the tank and chainguard, and currently working one what to do about exhaust and engine.

I have dug out some exhausts to try on it, Honestly the best fit and look is actually what it would have came stock with, just the little round muff angled out and downward out the right side. It is a chopper though, It should have something, that HS header/pipe one on the engine isn't it though :laugh: I may try one of those old Horstman trumpet pipes if I can get my hands on one, They don't have flanges on the end so maybe I can set it where I want it and weld one of my flanges on it.

I'm on the fence about engine too, I really need to find a home for the engine sitting in it, Its an HS50 actually that I retrofitted with HS40 parts (was the one I built and had on a lil Indian years ago). Its got some paint damage though, I keep it around as a reminder NOT to use spraybomb under urethane clear, unless you like the campfire marshmallow look :wink:

Potential problem with it is If I run the stock (for HS40) little can muff I will have to use a threaded flange adapter and of course the exhaust will be choked down quite a bit. So I may shelf that poor thing again and have to use the HS40 I had put off to the side for it in the first place.

Anyone know what they did from the brake cable adjuster/mount to brake arm, its a loong run between those points, did they just rely on the shoe springs for cable return?

Nice work Markus, I always loved to see those Bonanza choppers when I was younger. I think they are the best looking mini choppers very made. I like them so I decided to build one, I plan to post pics of my progress today or tomorrow. Great work Markus!

Looks good Markus, especially since you didn't go for full-on restoration. Never seen the rattle can wrinkle beneath the urethane like that. I have a stamped cover 1974 HS 40 shroud and side piece if you need it.

markus

Looks good Markus, especially since you didn't go for full-on restoration. Never seen the rattle can wrinkle beneath the urethane like that. I have a stamped cover 1974 HS 40 shroud and side piece if you need it.
Kinda of an extreme case on the paint, An HS50 already runs warmer than an HS40, and if you retro fit to the smaller/earlier HS40 wheel/shroud its like throwing another log on the fire, wrap it all up in a nice thick blanket of Clear and you've got a "FAIL" :laugh: sucks it happened, but got me to try single stage again, which is working out very well, getting a good "finish" and even saving time and money :thumbsup:

Kinda of an extreme case on the paint, An HS50 already runs warmer than an HS40, and if you retro fit to the smaller/earlier HS40 wheel/shroud its like throwing another log on the fire, wrap it all up in a nice thick blanket of Clear and you've got a "FAIL" :laugh: sucks it happened, but got me to try single stage again, which is working out very well, getting a good "finish" and even saving time and money :thumbsup:
That is good info Marcus, as I thought I was getting away with something. I also started using ful thane, but only black so far, and I prime pieces as they go on, run the engine, deal with the problems, clean it well with degreaser, reprime, then shoot it all as one.

For me, no more rattle can bases for me on engines, and no more clears. Thank you for the great feed back.

markus

Bummed, I had a jackshaft sitting in spare parts that has the C clip ends. Made the ASS-umption it was 'nanza and would fit this, turned out to be too short :doah: So that leaves me dead in the water again till I can order one up. I need the Workbench back so I whipped up a kickstand to fit it today using some mix-n-match kickstand parts....its in "Beta" I will redo it when I get the rest of the parts to finish it up the roller and have it back on the bench.

Sunny skies and mid 70's today so I got some gratuitous outdoor shots while its still clean and I haven't knocked it over or dropped something on it yet like i always do :laugh:

markus

Was going to go full on and install lights, Lighted 1969 HS40, remote tank, and all that good stuff, but when I got the bug to just dump it to get it out of my way I listed the peterson/armacost headlight off on ebay and it sold right away....and the taillight I was going to use is listed currently. So that kinda puts the kibosh on lights if I decide to keep going with it :laugh:

So while I sold the lights off while back to pay some bills, last month I found another headlight on ebay, it was questionable on condition, but the price was worth the addmission, at just under $43 shipped I figured it was worth a shot.

From the ebay listing:

With a little love it came out pretty decent:

Member midyrman that lives here in FL had recently listed an actual Bonanza headlight mount the other day so I grabbed that up since I needed one :thumbsup:

I also lucked out recently and found a pair of Chrome taillights that are NOS but were out of package, So I snagged them to, sold one off already to pay for the pair so this was a freebie for my efforts.

I'm still torn on using lights on it but I got them, and they were better than what I had as the last headlight was a Fox single switch PM711 version anyway. I've got NOTHING else done to this thing :doah: It is back on the bench today though, and I hope to get a little more done. Been a little sick and running behind on alot of things. Hopefully I can maybe get some stuff done now though.

markus

Finally finished a motor for this bike, painted it yesterday and got the waterslide decals on this AM while having coffee.

Its a Fall 1969 built HS40, so it has common HS40 block design and shroud, but still has the small bolt pattern H25-35 head. I did it like the stock configuration of that year, but deleted the tank since I have the optional frame mounted tank for the chopper. I did find that the angled style air cleaner base was the best fitment for the chopper frame, It still sits high, but moves it over to the left/center more than the normal bases do.

see if my photobucket is still working, I see them, but not sure if others can :shrug:.......

markus

I see the engine. Looks awesome.:bowdown:
cool :thumbsup: I pay photobucket like 10 bucks a year to go "add free" on their site.....I guess they haven't shut people that do that down yet from linking.......I'm sure I'll be getting a bill from them for the other $390 or whatever crazy amount they now want soon though :doah: