Bonanza Chopper

Restorations and smiles

To everybody: Your replies put a smile on my face! It's nice to hear how people do the restorations (or hot rod rebuilds) for the fun and to preserve a timeless piece of fun. Mark G. You've restored some nice cars, I always loved 442's. Had a 66 Lemans and a Malibu as a kid, later a Trans Am, a TR7 conv, a GTI, and a Mazda RX7 conv. All were fun, some rusted away, others just wore out or became a pain in the A. I never restored one, just maintained and used. The mini bikes are where it started for me as a kid and now my kids are getting just a little bit of it. My 8 yr old boy loves the Camaro in Transformers... My older daughter was asking what a "Screamin Chicken" decal was...They laugh when I show them pictures of some of the old cars I had. But you should see the smile when they ride the '69 mini chopper. Maybe it won't teach them how to drive a car, but it sure is some fun family time!

And thanks Mark G. for the support on the Big Z mini chopper frame I bought. I was very complete except for the motor. As for the frame being butchered, I straightened the tubing and fitted sleeves and inserts to correct the frame and had it welded. I just ground down the welds on the frame tubing on the Big Z. It's no longer a Z. In fact, I think everyone is gonna have an impossible time finding where the frame was repaired. I too have a NOS seat for it, scored off Ebay a few months back from a group of 7 that were found new on a dealers shelf. Took a lot of cleaning to get the nicotine stains off, but it truly looks and feels brand new. I'll bet Mark G. got his from the same group. My chrome all cleaned up really well with naval jelly and then buffing wheels. And, I have both an HS 40 and a Hodaka Ace 100 E series motor just about ready to put on it. I made a reproduction stainless clutch guard very much like the one on my other CR400 and I scored a 4 X 7 cylindrical tank. It's now more than 100% complete since I can switch between the two motors. I just need to paint and fiddle a little with parts and I'll have a great Birthday surprise for my little boy. I kind of enjoy seeing the bidding on that other bike up past $1500, but I'm not gonna sell!

So Mark G., enjoy the restoration and then have fun riding! And Bayarea, I'm still lovin your bikes. Lookin forward to seeing that black one come back to life. Don't feel bad if you ever sell any off. It's okay when you have multiple bikes. Nobody's gonna get rich doing this, most restore for the fun and recoup very little for their time and cost of parts. And there are people very happy to have someone do the restoration with more skill or patience than they have. When you think of the limited production runs Dave Miller does, his prices make sense, they are obviously more than buying second hand parts that still must be reconditioned. I'm happy he's able to sell reproduction bikes and very glad he and others make reproduction parts, otherwise we'd all be at the mercy of hoarders and have to make our own stuff. Mark G. keep us informed as the rebuild goes...

WOW. I wish my dad had that kind of birthday surprise for me. That is too cool. :thumbsup:
I can't wait to see how the Big Z came out.
Yes I was one of the lucky winners on the seat from the lot of 7. I actually got two of them. Someone else got 2 as well, maybe someone here? The guy stacked them on top of each other (like a couple of pringles) and the staples on the underside of the top seat cut into the cover of the bottom seat in more than one spot:doah: and the bottom seat had a metal pan instead of the fiberglass, and when you looked at it from the back it was leaning to one side (bent). Also the mount holes were cut out of the metal, but not in the vinyl, so there are no grommets on it. Plus like yours mine needed a good cleaning. The nicer of the two has a slight 2 inch long indent right on the top near the front, like a box was sitting on it for a while. I'm hopeful it will come out. I contacted the seller and he said they were sitting in his shop for a while and he didn't notice the difference between the metal pan and the fiberglass one. I believed him as he clearly didn't know what he had. He apologized about the poor packing and made up for it with a partial refund, which was cool on his end but I would have rather gotten both seats in A-1 shape. In all one is about a 98 out of 100 and the other is great for a rider. I'm still happy. I was hoping a good roller would come along for this seat, and here it is.:thumbsup:

This always happens to me. I get a great new project and then, well it seems everything else takes priority. I just spent last weekend fixing my neighbors kids bike, he just got it. It is a 71 Foremost Golden Pinto that sat outside for the last three years, and long story short two days of shop time it now runs and looks great. I figured we needed to get the kid riding asap. He's 11.
So I get done with that and now I need to go back to work. Crap. Two days of working on the truck. Now I'm done with that, and now it's work work work. I try to do a project right, so If I don't have the time it sits until I do. (The Golden pinto was an exception, but hey it's running and the kid's smiling.)
So now the Bonanza is stuck in project jail. Not to worry though, as I always get time off, but kinda hard to plan on it. When I do, I will start a new thread in the projects section and keep you guys posted.:thumbsup:

delray

I see the chopper with the BIG BLOCK motor:thumbsup:
did you say stars and stripes? i got one of them too,but all apart:doah:

Mark G Nice lil collection of choppers:thumbsup:
Thanks. Kinda a crappy picture but it's the only one I have of them all together. The one in the middle is a Trail Horse with a 7hp Tecumseh w/ charge coil and 12v electric start. I got the sweet oval gas tank at an auction a few weeks ago for a buck.:wink: The frame is a little bigger than the other two, the wheelbase is a little longer and the tubing is 1". It's real comfy, lots of room.

The Manco has the wrong forks on it, but the handle bar placement is right on so I'm going to keep them. I need to change the fork tubes to level the bike out, as they are about a inch and a half too short. I like the way the bike looks though. I'm going to go emerald green and aluminum for the finish.:thumbsup:

Chopper Talk

Wow RT, there's a nice project. Your rear tire appears to be original for a 1970 CR400 or 410. From the brochure that Scooterboy posted in another thread, I can't tell if the CR400 is considered the kit version (for shipping to people or dealers on the east coast) and if the CR410 designated the model equipped with the jackshaft. Perhaps the 400 or 410 numbers indicated the non-jackshaft or jackshaft equipped model number and either one could come in kit form...

I'm working on a 1970 with jackshaft tabs that was a Big Z. Look at the picture and you'll understand. I used a jig to pull it back together, made sleeves to slide inside the 7/8ths tubing, and then fitted 7/8ths inserts to fix my frame. I'm taking my time too, but I have a running HS40 all painted and ready, most parts ready to assemble, just need final frame work and painting before assembly. I'm hoping to do a project log real soon. Mark G says he'll do a project log too, should be fun to watch them all..

Attachments

Thanks Mark, nice repair on the frame.

I'm pretty excited about restoring something different, I have an HS40 sitting on the shelf waiting as well. The tires are cracked bad it just doesn 't show in the picture. I think its a CR410 it only has rear brake and I think the CR500 has front brake as well, but I took it because I wanted it it didn't matter CR400, CR410 or CR500.

A CR410 could use other motor option given the jackshaft mounts.
I'd love to get a Frijole as well

RT

jackshaft is a plus

With the jackshaft you can easily change motors including the Hodaka Ace 100 that normally uses motorcycle chain because it's much easier to just change one jackshaft sprocket to match with the engine chain. I have several Hodaka's awaiting rebuild so that I can someday see how fast they are. I've also noticed that my 1969 CR400 came with a 60 tooth rear sprocket (i'm the original owner too). The newer 1970 bike with the jackshaft tabs came with a larger rear sprocket, 72 tooth. So, some j/s gearing selection would make the newer bike perform more like the '69. The '69 takes off a little slow with my 225 lbs, but it sure does get up there in top end speed, probably 30+. I haven't done the math, but that is a 12 tooth clutch to a 60 tooth rear end with a 15 inch rear tire, 530 X 350 X 6 size. I'll have to check what the the engine's top governed speed is supposed to be, but it probably isn't more than 3000 to 3500 rpms. The 5 inch brake is adequate at best, but it is definitely better than the turning radius...especially with knees spread outside the handlebars for clearance. It sure is fun to ride!

I don't think the Cr500 ever had front brakes since there's nothing on the fork to keep the brake assembly from turning.

I too got one of the infamous seven NOS seats for my restoration. I was at first upset about the apparent condition of the vinyl compared to how it looked in the picture. But I held my breath and started cleaning. My NOS seat cleaned up to virtually perfect condition. There was one line where it had been resting against another seat, but this dissappeared in a few days after cleaning. The cleaning seemed to make the vinyl much more supple, it really feels like it's new. I hope yours freshens up as well. Good lck on the resto, put up pics as you go. I found Duplicolor GM orange engine paint to be virually identical to the original color of my childhood Cr400. It does chip, but at $6.00 a can for the whole frame, I'm not worried about riding or touching up....

Wow, old thread. What the hell happened to all of my pictures?
Not sure how many are left but I still have this bike, plus one more. Went all out on it, NOS seat ,new Scooterboy fork, new Dave Miller sissybar and shocks, burnished the wheels and had all of the bikes original hardware plated, NOS front tire, repro Coker on the back. I've got over $1k in the first bike, and still have to have it painted, and build the motor!

Triley41395

Wow, old thread. What the hell happened to all of my pictures?
Not sure how many are left but I still have this bike, plus one more. Went all out on it, NOS seat ,new Scooterboy fork, new Dave Miller sissybar and shocks, burnished the wheels and had all of the bikes original hardware plated, NOS front tire, repro Coker on the back. I've got over $1k in the first bike, and still have to have it painted, and build the motor!
Well since someone brought it back to the top you could load a few more recent pictures. I'd like to see the original picture of when you got it and then the latest pics.

. I'd like to see the original picture of when you got it and then the latest pics.
So would I. At one time I had over 5000 pictures uploaded to this site directly and now when one of my older threads pop up the pics are often missing. I used to be able to find them in my albums but since the forum change (twice now over the years) everything is a jumbled mess.
As far as current pics of this bike, well...
For starters it's loosely assembled in my house, and has a bunch of vintage wagons and go Kart parts stacked about so it isn't very photogenic. What REALLY has stopped me is the details. The fork from Scooterboy is beautiful. The rear bar and lowers from DM are excellent as well. The chrome on the small gas tank came out great. However, since they all came from different places, NONE of the chrome matches. SB's forks are more of a "flash" chrome, like what would have come from the factory. The sissy bar is show chrome. Looks great, but sticks out. Also, there is a very slight ding on the very edge of the tank. It doesn't matter how nice that chrome is (also different), all I see is that ding. This is why I hate restoring bikes. Devil is in the details as they say. If one little thing is wrong, out of place etc. that's all I see.
I was going to have this bike professionally painted to match all of the glitz and glam, but ran into yet another dilemma. Someone spray bombed over the OG paint, but it comes off relatively easily. I'm a sucker for original paint bikes, with so many being repainted or worse, powdercoated that the survivors are really getting hard to find. A while back I picked up a nice original set of bars, sissy bar, and clutch cover that are straight and no rust, and the chrome is real nice. I may just strip the spraybomb paint off of everything and build this bike as a survivor.
On the other hand, I threw this together (the fork is from the chopper in this thread) and it's one of my favorite bikes. I even had world famous George Trosley do a drawing of it and made it into a business card. Just rode it around last week.
https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/spare-parts-manco-chopper.138765/