Bonanza CR 400 410 500 scout info thread

Could we make this the official Bonanza chopper CR information thread? There is a ton of knowledge and information but Its a bit scattered out. With all the interest in the Bonanza choppers I think if would be a good idea to consolidate the information.

It would be really helpful to people like myself that were trying to do research on a new project. Figuring out what parts go to what year (to the best of our ability).

Any information at all to help us restore these bikes or even just to help date them would be helpful. Do you have a survivor that is unchanged? Have a bike that you got new? Original advertisements? Bonanza Spec sheets Anything at all.

-What years were the bikes made?
-any year to year changes?
-options/pricing?
-pictures
ect.....

I know there were three models, correct me if this info is wrong.
-The CR400 powered by 4hp Tecumseh HS40, left hand drive
-The CR410 powered by 4ph Tecumseh HS40 but utilized the jack shaft, using a right hand drive wheel.
-The CR500 essentially the CR410 but powered by Hodaka Ace 100cc Two stroke engine, utilized the jack shaft, right hand drive wheel.

I believe these all had the cylindrical gas tank as an option, with the exception of the CR500 which had it as standard.

Last edited:
This information is a different thread, info from Marksteinhilber.

"Yes, there's many people that want them and collect them. Yours is a complete roller in decent shape, not too hard a restoration since there are sources like Bonanzamini for exact reproduction parts, but these can get pricey. This bike originally came with either a Tecumseh HS40 4 hp engine or a Hodaka Ace 100 two stroke motorcycle engine with 5 speeds for the CR 500 model. Re-chroming the forks and the sissy bar can also be one of the biggest restoration costs as well as finding the correct vintage and series of the HS40 motor, complete, and in good running condition or rebuilt. It appears that your frame has been bent upward to allow a Briggs or other substitute non-original motor to fit in the frame. We've seen that before as in one that I am currently making right, see photo of red frame and also yellow frame from a member in NY.

I have had my CR 400 since 1970 when I was a kid and brought it back to life last year, totally original. Well, except for tire tubes, gas, oil, carb kit, and cables. I'm working on a second one for my son, and some Hodaka Ace 100 motors for when we want to try the bigger motor. Just a set of wheels with the sprocket and brake are hard to find and expensive to get. They're pretty rare on E-bay these days. Finding a complete roller with sissy bar, seat, and wheels at a decent price really puts you off to a good start. Have fun!

BayAreaBurrito is another good resource on how these bikes were originally. He has some beautiful pictures of his CR 500 with the hodaka. Look at all the brochures that are available and read them for clues... "

"My childhood C 400, first picture, for which I have the original brochures was called a "Scout" and was a 1969 model, from the Scout division, 1775 South First St. Bldg 66, San Jose, CA 95112. The '69 parts list has this frame as the C-400 and the parts list also seems to cover the Scout MB 300. There was no mention of Bonanza, but I believe they were at the same location and Bonanza was the parent company. The parts list also shows the Hodaka Ace 100 10Hp engine w/ 5 speed trans as an option, part #2044. A jackshaft kit Assembly with (mounting) carriage, part # C-405 may have been used to make the switch from motorcylcle chain #41 from the hodaka to the rear wheel sprocket which was a #35.

I think the welded jackshaft tabs appeared a year later on a revised frame, hence the R in CR-400. This frame had the jackshaft tabs along with a different style engine plate that was folded over inside the frame tubing to make it stronger. The original C-400 frame was susceptible to cracking the three welds along the tubing at the edge of the flat engine plate from the Tecumseh HS 40 motor vibration and the chain tension. The brochure shown shows both a CR 400 and a kit version, the CR 410. Both have the jackshaft tabs. The poster shows the CR 500 with the Hodaka motor also had the welded jackshaft tabs too, probably in 1970 and later. Figuring all this stuff out is part of the intrigue in restoring a vintage mini bike. All we ever got to see in 1969 or 1970 were ads in catalogues or the parts list and could only dream about what the chrome cylinder tank option was. Now, with the internet, we know how good a chrome tank looks. Last picture is BayAreaBurrito's CR 500.

Hope this gets you started! "

Last edited:
What I believe is correct by looking at brochures and information from Marksteinhilber. PLEASE let me know if you have conflicting information. I don't want to spread misinformation.

The Bonanza and "Scout" Choppers were made from 1969-1970

The early bikes (1969?) were "Scout" C series (a division of Bonanza). The two easiest to identify indicators of it being an early "Scout" is they did not have jackshaft tabs and also had a flat engine plate. Left hand Drive wheel only. Clutch guards are flat folded sheet metal. The Hodaka ace 100 engine was not yet available.

Then in 1970 the CR series of bikes were introduced with the engine plate that had folded edges (reinforced to fight vibration). All the CR series bikes had the jackshaft tabs even if they were not being utilized. Left hand drive for the CR400 and right hand drive for the CR410 and CR500. Introduction of the Hodaka engine option.