Bonanza CR400 factory exhaust.

I was looking for info on the stock exhaust used on the Bonanza CR400 chopper with the 4hp Tecumseh. I can’t seem to find a picture showing it.

markus

Isn't that funny that you never see a good shot of the muffler in any pictures :D, even in actual photos of the era not just advertising lit either!! Its always out of view or covered up by someones leg! I scrounged around for months trying to figure it out myself.

I believe they (at least the pre 1971 ones) just got the standard 7 hole muffler so when I built the engine for mine I went with that:

The HS40's that Bonanza was using for the BC's at that time were outfitted with them from Tec since there stock/optional BC chrome pipe pipe mounted to the 45 degree street elbow that the muffler was screwed to. Bonanza Joe (Joe's mini bike reunion guy) has a 400 that showed as being pretty OG when he picked it up and it had one on it, kinda seen in this pic:

I had acquired the 1969 Scout parts lists awile back which was the first choppers, it does not list an optional or even stock header for the chopper or MB 300 (the only 2 bikes under the scout line at the time) either.

The 7 hole #30911 muff setup as seen on the above bikes would have been the only thing available from Tec at the start at least to fit these frames, the typical 33128a (which is the Taylor spark arrestor dog leg header) would have been available I think going into 1971 and will most likely clear fine. Some of the scout MB/MX bikes did get that one and Tecumseh books list Bonanza as using it, so if you are tying to replicate a particular year that one could be used as well.

markus

Hey Marcus so what happened in 1971 and beyond with the exhaust?
not a clue, Like I said the typical taylor muffler/header was listed as used by Bonanza in the Tecumseh/taylor lists, It should fit and clear the chopper frame, if the bike was on the factory floor like that I just don't know.