Bonanza Experts Help Please

mustangfrank

Barn fresh (garage) pickup I made yesterday, haven't even blown the cobwebs off yet. Been looking for one of these long & low beauties for a little while. Obviously the B&S 8ish hp with the spark plug touching the tube was wishful thinking by the previous, PO. I was surprised at how complete it was but man is it crusty...do they sell PB Blaster in 55 gallon drums?:)

My research has it narrowed down to a 67 to 70 BC1400 or BC1500 but please check me on that. (mid mount pegs, adjustable bars, raised letters on the badge)

Can anyone nail down the specific model and what was the original engine? I'd like to bring it back to life with the original type engine or at least one of the available engine options.

20200929_121049.jpg 20200929_121150.jpg 20200929_121247.jpg 20200929_121133.jpg

mustangfrank

Check for motor mount ware marks on the engine plate. might be a Hodaka Powered BC1500SH
Good point, got home with it late last night and today is the GFs birthday so I'm holding off playing with it until tomorrow. That would be cool and a $$$ curse!

Freaking beautiful mini Joe! I think mine shared the same shade of blue at one point. Not sure if the jackshaft engine sprocket on the outside of my bracket is stock and unlike yours tells us no to the Hodaka?

16014129508123770188687478900495.jpg

Last edited:

mustangfrank

With sprocket being outside jack shaft This would be a bc1400. Should have a tecumseh h50
I'll have to look closer tomorrow or take it out along with the engine, the jackshaft is toast but looked longer than what a factory piece would be, can't tell if that rot is witness to an old inner sprocket or just rot.

Good news is I have an original mini bike H50 and I know where a cheap H70 is.

mustangfrank

Well, got that frozen hunk of B&S out of there...I can't see any other engine mount ghosts besides the Briggs. The jackshaft looks replaced (too long) and are the gears flipped side to side wrong? Did notice something obvious that might be definitive though...the little angle bracket for the chain guard, don't see those on the Hodaka powered Bonanzas, correct?

If I'm right then that makes her a BC1400 and I already trial fit an H50.

20200930_121807.jpg 20200930_121822.jpg 20200930_122235.jpg

sonerenos

CORRECT! BC1400. the 1500 had a 7/8" frame while the others used 1" your bike did not come with a hodaka, the jackshaft set up is correct, its to counter balance the bike from being too heavy on one side, hence the multiple engine plate slots for mounting different sized engines on the same frame design.

mustangfrank

All BCs had 1” frames and all MX/MB had 7/8” frames .
Yes it is 1" tubing, I had that information before going to purchase it. Too bad Bonanza didn't leave us with S/N build information but it was a fun couple days of detective work.

She's completely torn down with the exception of the fork legs and the wheel halve screws, I have those soaking.

Kinda relieved it's not an original Hodaka powered machine, it would have put the restoration on the back burner. Thanks to all!