Bonanza / HS50 / TAV?

Midyrman

I have a front peg Bonanza with hack shaft and swing arm and an HS50.

Is a torque converter set up doable with the engine mounted to the far left so the driven clutch would be on the outside of the JS plate? Does the frame rail impede the clutch? Are mods needed? This assumes the Jack shaft stays and the rear wheel sprocket and JS gear stay on the right side.

Thanks.
Tom

mustangfrank

I have a front peg Bonanza with hack shaft and swing arm and an HS50.

Is a torque converter set up doable with the engine mounted to the far left so the driven clutch would be on the outside of the JS plate? Does the frame rail impede the clutch? Are mods needed? This assumes the Jack shaft stays and the rear wheel sprocket and JS gear stay on the right side.

Thanks.
Tom
I bought a set of tall jackshaft brackets from OldMiniBikes for the same plan with an H50 or HM series. I have a frame with damaged original jackshaft plates though, not sure if I would cut up an good working original.

I didn't like the ground clearance with a 6" clutch mocked up on stock jackshaft brackets.

Midyrman

Thx for the input.
I have the swing arm setup on my BC so the driven clutch would be outside the JS plate. In your mock up were you able to line up the engine shaft with the JS shaft in the factory slots on the engine mounting plate? I don’t have the two clutches in hand but from what I can tell the engine (HS50) may need to move slightly left.

Last edited:

mustangfrank

Thx for the input.
I have the swing arm setup on my BC so the driven clutch would be outside the JS plate. In your mock up were you able to line up the engine shaft with the JS shaft in the factory slots on the engine mounting plate? I don’t have the two clutches in hand but from what I can tell the engine (HS50) may need to move slightly left.
It was really close to aligned with an H50, the frame I mocked it on needs some engine plate repairs already. Figured if I need more to get perfect belt alignment I was going to modify the H series mount plate instead of the frame. HS would be different obviously so can't say for sure. I used a Comet 30 series to keep the belt as close to the frame as possible.

What engines did Bonanza offer on the TC models? I don't think they changed the engine plate but I have never seen one up close to check.

Midyrman

It was really close to aligned with an H50, the frame I mocked it on needs some engine plate repairs already. Figured if I need more to get perfect belt alignment I was going to modify the H series mount plate instead of the frame. HS would be different obviously so can't say for sure. I used a Comet 30 series to keep the belt as close to the frame as possible.

What engines did Bonanza offer on the TC models? I don't think they changed the engine plate but I have never seen one up close to check.
I think the tall JS plates are needed. That way the lower frame rail isn’t an issue and the clutch can be tight to the JS plate and furthest right for better alignment with the engine clutch.

Not sure about the TC equipped models other than I once owned an MB which is TC equipped and had the tall JS plates. The Tecumseh was 3.5HP. I’m guessing the same engine plate.

mustangfrank

I think the tall JS plates are needed. That way the lower frame rail isn’t an issue and the clutch can be tight to the JS plate and furthest right for better alignment with the engine clutch.

Not sure about the TC equipped models other than I once owned an MB which is TC equipped and had the tall JS plates. The Tecumseh was 3.5HP. I’m guessing the same engine plate.
I actually ordered an extra set of the tall jackshaft plates to modify with the swingarm back in the stock location. Trying to see if I can get enough space for a two speed setup inside the jackshaft plates.

Figured it would be fun to tinker with one and I'm still yet to find a TC cover, repro or original.