Bonanza Rear Shocks Reproduction

Wbcor

Since I'm asking a lot of questions on the forum I had better step-up my posting as well :)

Like almost every pair of Bonanza shocks I've seen, the shocks in my bike were abused over the years. Like someone said, "the kid will do anything to get the mini bike running again."

I checked the material and dimensions and luckily the tubing is "standard" and I bought enought to make 3 pair.

Shown are the old shocks and the left-over piece of steel tubing that I purchased.

The next step is to make a mandrel to: Enable to work the piece on the lathe and ensure the correct length and to create the shape to get the correct taper.

Bonanza shock mandrel .jpg

If people are interested in the maching steps and machine tools I'm happy to add that detail. It might bore some of the readers.

I've jumped a couple of steps, but to get the taper without a massive press, I elected to cut 8 slots to the appropriate length and then form the resulting tabs into a taper against the mandrel (which is a copy of the original taper).

After forming the taper, the slots need to be welded-up as shown here. I used a TIG welder.

Bonanza shocks 3 .jpg

It looks kind of messy, but will clean-up well with the lathe.

Again jumping ahead, thease are the shock tubes after primary finishing.
I'll need to complete the finishing and get them to the chrome plater (once I find a good one in the Portland, OR area)
They will look great and function nicely
Bonanza shocks 4 .jpg
I haven't decided yet, but I may make the entire shock units.
Keep a pair for myself and offer one or two pair for sale.

Regards,
Bill

Wbcor

Since I'm asking a lot of questions on the forum I had better step-up my posting as well :)

Added a picture that I had missed

Like almost every pair of Bonanza shocks I've seen, the shocks in my bike were abused over the years. Like someone said, "the kid will do anything to get the mini bike running again."

I checked the material and dimensions and luckily the tubing is "standard" and I bought enought to make 3 pair.

Shown are the old shocks and the left-over piece of steel tubing that I purchased.

Bonanza shocks 1 .jpg

The next step is to make a mandrel to: Enable to work the piece on the lathe and ensure the correct length and to create the shape to get the correct taper.

View attachment 262405

If people are interested in the maching steps and machine tools I'm happy to add that detail. It might bore some of the readers.

I've jumped a couple of steps, but to get the taper without a massive press, I elected to cut 8 slots to the appropriate length and then form the resulting tabs into a taper against the mandrel (which is a copy of the original taper).

After forming the taper, the slots need to be welded-up as shown here. I used a TIG welder.

View attachment 262406

It looks kind of messy, but will clean-up well with the lathe.

Again jumping ahead, thease are the shock tubes after primary finishing.
I'll need to complete the finishing and get them to the chrome plater (once I find a good one in the Portland, OR area)
They will look great and function nicely
View attachment 262407
I haven't decided yet, but I may make the entire shock units.
Keep a pair for myself and offer one or two pair for sale.

Regards,
Bill