Bonanza Rear Shocks Reproductions

Wbcor

Hello all.
I searched for a long time for rear shocks for my BC1300 restoration. The ones I found were only good enough for paterns so I made some for my restoration and some extra pairs to sell. I had to make quite a bit of tooling to do this properly so making a small batch made sense. Everything is new and matches Boananza factory specs. The hardware was special ordered (not Home Depot stuff) to match the original. The tubes are "show chrome" and the top and bottom pieces that attach to the springs are zinc plated - both just like factory along with all the proper dimensions. The springs are heavy duty and just right - Thanks Hent. The difficult and time consuming part is to get the taper at the bottom of the tube. To accomplish this I made 12 quarter-inch cuts and the swaged the taper over a mandrel, welded and machined (lathe) the ends to a proper final taper. Finally, everything received the proper plating. As you might know, plating, particularly chrome, is very expensive.
Price is $365 for a pair and $15 for shipping to the Continental US.
Please send me a message if interested.
Regards,
Bill

W Rear Shocks 1.jpg Rear shocks 2.jpg

Harquebus

Were the originals this good, at least as far as the chrome plating?

These were minibikes, not Harley Electra-Glides so I bet they were of a lower standard somewhat.

mustangfrank

Nice! I've been calling around my area trying to find a shop that would do small batch end forming. I like the bushing to correct the crappy factory design flaw.

Wbcor

The original chrome was very good on both the shock tubes and the fenders. Maybe I shouldn’t use the term “show” chrome. There are really only two types - “decorative” and “hard” chrome. “Show” gets a little more attention in the polishing, but if you start with good clean steel it turns-out pretty much the same.
The only other difference would be “tooling” marks on the top of upper spring attachments. As a stickler for details I attempted to duplicate the original Bonanza tooling marks, but it’s hit or miss so I just finished them smooth.
Bonanza had excellent quality and pioneered a number of technologies including MIG welding and powder coating which wasn’t common for this type of manufacturing back then.
Regards,
Bill

Wbcor

I believe the bushings were standard. I found them the two original pairs I had. Probably, people (kids) left them out at some point and lost them. I’ve never seen a pair without drive chain damage. That could have been handled differently.

Wbcor

I tried to figure-out how the ends were originally formed. However it was done it takes special tooling and a bunch of hydraulic force.

mustangfrank

I believe the bushings were standard. I found them the two original pairs I had. Probably, people (kids) left them out at some point and lost them. I’ve never seen a pair without drive chain damage. That could have been handled differently.
Interesting...I've got 8-12 well used pairs that don't have a bushing and I assumed they never had one. I bought a set of NOS sealed Rupp shocks (similar design but straight tube end), they don't utilize a bushing. Think I'm going to open up a set of shocks on my 2 original untouched Nanzas and have a look.

Good stuff

Harquebus

...The only other difference would be “tooling” marks on the top of upper spring attachments. As a stickler for details I attempted to duplicate the original Bonanza tooling marks, but it’s hit or miss so I just finished them smooth....l
Aha, that's what I was thinking of. The chrome might have been great quality and durable but the steel tubing may have had blemishes and tooling marks that showed through on the final product.

I've seen a lot of people refurbish, nay "restore" a mini bike with a level of quality beyond what the factory was able to produce.

Robertt8883

I Just received my shocks today- Professionalism at its best .No Complaints .If I needed another pair I wouldn't hesitate yo buy again,
Thanks again Bill

Robertt8883

Wbcor

Thanks Robert!
Good luck cleaning-up the tires. It will take some doing, but they'll look great.
Feel free to make a comment in my "Bonanza Shocks For Sale" post. I have a couple pairs left and I don't really want to deal with eBay.
Regards,
Bill