Bonanza...Sell or Restore?

Hi all...I just found this website and I wanted to get some information from you experts! I have two Bonanza Mini Bikes that my brother and I have owned since the early 70's. We are struggling with the decision to restore or sell. Can you all help me figure out values and what it might cost to restore them both? Let me know...here are pics...

The first is a BC1500 (I think) with the Hodaka Ace 100 engine. It has the correct seat, gas tank, exhaust pipe, wheels, original badge, tires (which are totally dead and gone), and is not currently running. It has a wiring problem that is preventing it from running. I know that if pieced out it could be worth a lot but if the decision to sell was made, I would sell it as a complete bike ready for restoration.

The second one is a BC1100 with the original white briggs engine. It has the correct seat, gas tank with the model decal, exhaust pipe, wheels, badge, tires, and is in running condition. It is leaking oil so it will likely need a rebuild, but it is running and has NEVER been apart.

Anything you all can tell me that will help me and my brother decide whether to sell or restore these little babies would be helpful! Thanks everyone and nice to meet you all!

Darin Dohi

Last edited:
Help!!!!!

Can anyone help me post my pictures to my message? I've tried a few different ways of linking to my posted pics but it keeps on giving me the dreaded box with red X!

I'm sorry everyone but the pics are on the site!

Darin

We are struggling with the decision to restore or sell. Can you all help me figure out values and what it might cost to restore them both.

The first is a BC1500 (I think) with the Hodaka Ace 100 engine. It has the correct seat, gas tank, exhaust pipe, wheels, original badge, tires (which are totally dead and gone), and is not currently running. It has a wiring problem that is preventing it from running. I know that if pieced out it could be worth a lot but if the decision to sell was made, I would sell it as a complete bike ready for restoration.

The second one is a BC1100 with the original white briggs engine. It has the correct seat, gas tank with the model decal, exhaust pipe, wheels, badge, tires, and is in running condition. It is leaking oil so it will likely need a rebuild, but it is running and has NEVER been apart.
Hello hanapaa90504 and welcome to OldMiniBikes

The first I believe to be a BC1500SH
The second one is a BC1100 but your motor is not a briggs its a 3HPTecumseh.
Both are very nice bikes.
As per putting a price on them you will find here at OldMiniBikes that we members do not discuss what a mini bikes worth is you will have to first decide what you and your brother want to do with them then take it from there.

tomsprops

How about the BBQ in the background ? I could really use that ! seriously !
If your on the fence about the Mini's DON'T sell them ! You'll never be able to replace them.

BayAreaBurrito! You da man!

Thank you so much for your input! I'm not sure what I was doing wrong with the pic postings, but the thumbnail thing will work for me! I appreciate you being honest with me as well. I am going to do a bit more research on it before deciding but for now I've at least decided to clean them up.

Take care...

Darin

Hi Toms Props...Thanks for the input. I've got that on my heart and it's weighing heavily. The only problem is that we have way tooo many toys between my brother and I! He's got a Manx Buggy...Two Quads...a Two Seat waverunner...my father's old Model T and a bunch of other stuff that I can't even think of right now! I've got two golf carts, a bass boat, a ton of fishing stuff, a datsun roadster and a 1976 Datsun pickup! Way too much to think about...the problem is that we've had these two mini's since we were kids!

Anyway...sorry to tell you but that little red BBQ is my wife's from before we married and she started screaming when I asked her if I could sell it to you! Keep in mind we have a beautiful Stainless 5 burner that we normally use! hahahahahahahha! Sorry...I'll keep you in mind!

Darin

Well in my opinion just judjing by the pics id say it shouldnt cost that much to restore them since their pretty complete. Id depends how crazy you wanna get with the restoration. You just have to decide if their worth your time and energy to tear them down and clean them up. Since you had them from new id say its definatly worth it. You and your brother can work on them together and go buzzing around on them like old times. Before you know it you'll have half a dozen more bikes to trip over :) Minibikes dont take up much room

those are the worst minibikes to have i will will take them off your hands!:wink:

just kidding. If your really need the money put them on ebay. if you dont put them on a shelf and in a couple years when you do i am sure the price on those bikes are only gonna go up!. They are only original once. they look really good mabey just clean them up and drain all the fluids. Keep them original, thats my 2 cents.:punk:

Actually getting excited to at least clean them up!

Thanks everyone for your input! I get the feeling that I'm going to be learning a lot as I get them cleaned up. I hope to have them ready for another photo session in a few weeks. I'll show you all the progress. The jury is still out on whether we'll get rid of them or not, but I'm hoping that they will both be running by the time I get them cleaned up. I even have an original Hodaka manual that I'm going to be using to get the 1500 running.

I'm indebted to you all for your valuable input! Thanks a million!

Darin:thumbsup:

oldfatguy

what ever you do, please don't part them out, any one of us would be drooling all over our selves if we saw bikes that complete for sale. Very nice mini bikes and rare in that condition.

Hey Oldfatguy...

Thanks for the message...I definitely will NOT part them out. I know that they are worth a bundle parted...but I appreciate old survivor stuff and wouldn't dare take these apart. I am considering a restoration right now...but may end up leaving those duties to the new owners if I choose to sell them. I will probably try to sell them to you guys anyway instead of doing the eBay thing. I prefer to get them into your hands without having to pay those fees!

Thanks again for your input and I'll post up pics of the clean up as it progresses.

Darin

oldfatguy

that's good to hear,we can all sleep better tonight.If you do put those beauties up for sale,expect a feeding frenzy because any one of us would love to own a minibike that nice and original.It is almost impossible to find them complete like that

Bryan...I am suddenly FORCED to sell them! I am really holding out for top dollar. I would be willing to meet you half way between your location and mine to deliver. I would need cash on delivery. Just let me know what you have in mind. Tommie d has already asked to sell him the 1100. I don't know if I'm ready to split them. If you guys both come in at the same time so I can collect the cash, that would help me immesurably. I am including the manual and all documentation that I have with the sale.

Thank you guys for considering helping me out of this situation.

Darin:scooter: