Bonanza Shocks

Frisco57

I've heard that stock style Bonanza shocks are rebuildable. Anybody done this. The ones on my Bonanza project were collapsed, I replaced them and set the stockers aside.

IMG_2875 (2).jpg

Just an FYI before you rebuild those shocks:
In my opinion those rear shocks are inadequate for an "adult-sized" rider (over 150 lbs) and will bottom out quite easily. I am 250lbs and they nearly bottomed out just sitting on the bike! On my son's BC1200 we took them off for this reason and went with a heavier-duty type whjich we were MUCH happier with. Just my .02 cents....
Michael

Last edited:

sonerenos

In my opinion those rear shocks are inadequate for an "adult-sized" rider (over 150 lbs) and will bottom out quite easily. I am 250lbs and they nearly bottomed out just sitting on the bike! On my son's BC1200 we took them off for this reason and went with a heavier-duty type whjich we were MUCH happier with. Just my .02 cents....
Michael
a bike to be ridden is different than a bike to be restored and looked at... just my .02 cents

Frisco57

Michael
I built/restored a rider Bonanza and agree totally! I just wondered if the stock shocks were worth rebuilding or if a "period correct guy" was interested in a restorable set of shocks.

IMG_3002 (2).jpg

IMG_3652 (1).jpg

kayde

Michael

Thank you,, I was curious on this very subject and it's nice too hear this kind of time and dollar saving info.

Frisco,
Your bike in the photos has the exact same rear shocks my son put on his Bonanza. They perform sooooooo much better than the OEM shocks. You will have no trouble selling your Bonanza OEM shocks "as-is" as there are many who want them for their restoration showpieces. My son sold his on this forum within 1 hour of listing them for sale!
Michael

GustoGuy

Frisco,
Your bike in the photos has the exact same rear shocks my son put on his Bonanza. They perform sooooooo much better than the OEM shocks. You will have no trouble selling your Bonanza OEM shocks "as-is" as there are many who want them for their restoration showpieces. My son sold his on this forum within 1 hour of listing them for sale!
Michael
True. The original shocks on 40 to 50 year old minibikes were often cheaply made spring inside a tube non oil dampened much like the Betor Rupp Shocks. Yes they are original but actual hydraulic motorcycle shocks are much better.

Ceejus

I built/restored a rider Bonanza and agree totally! I just wondered if the stock shocks were worth rebuilding or if a "period correct guy" was interested in a restorable set of shocks.

View attachment 284796

View attachment 284797
What shocks did you use, and where did you get them? I've got one that I'm wanting to build, but i also want to ride it occasionally. It has the factory rear shocks, but being a 200lb guy, i don't want to wreck them. I'll just sit them on the shelf, for future rebuild or use. Thanks, and i really dig your bike!

Frisco57

What shocks did you use, and where did you get them? I've got one that I'm wanting to build, but i also want to ride it occasionally. It has the factory rear shocks, but being a 200lb guy, i don't want to wreck them. I'll just sit them on the shelf, for future rebuild or use. Thanks, and i really dig your bike!
I got these from Route 21 Trading Co. a few years back. I'm not sure who manufactured them but the length was correct and they work very well on my Bonanza.

IMG_3648.jpg

Robertt8883

Well if you a beautiful built chrome replacement shock for you Bonanza OldMiniBikes member WBCOR has made several sets and are for sale.Hands down
the nicest shock I have seen put on a Bonanza.He also had them listed on ebay,There not light duty and they will carry a load
So as the saying goes That's my 0.2 cents
If you go on EBAY and type in item #324756813379 you will see the shocks

Last edited:
Well if you a beautiful built chrome replacement shock for you Bonanza OldMiniBikes member WBCOR has made several sets and are for sale.Hands down
the nicest shock I have seen put on a Bonanza.He also had them listed on ebay,There not light duty and they will carry a load
So as the saying goes That's my 0.2 cents
If you go on EBAY and type in item #324756813379 you will see the shocks
I did an ebay search for that number , but nothing came up. Do you know his ebay seller name?