Bonanza Sprocket Restoration

Wbcor

This is the sprocket that came on my early '68 BC1300. I have no idea how it got that way, but I needed an original 60 tooth sprocket for the early Go Power wheels. Unable to find an original sprocket in good shape I decided to restore this one.

Sprocket 2 .JPG Sprocket 1 .jpg

Wbcor

I purchased a "generic" #35 60 tooth sprocket and set-it up on the lathe. I was lucky to get it nice and centered with a few adjustments on the 4-jaw chuck. I want everything concentric within a few thousands of an inch. I then "parted-off" the ring that I will graft on to the original Bonanza hub.

Sprocket 4 .jpg Sprocket 6 .jpg Sprocket 7 .jpg Sprocket 10 .jpg

Wbcor

I machined the hub to allow a slight press-fit into the ring. I was a little lucky here as well since press-fits on something like this can be tricky. A typical press fit is less than .001". The next step was to tack-weld in several places front and back followed by a full weld all the way around on both sides. The welding (TIG) could certainly be better, but this will be fine. In this case its the penetration that's important since the surface bead will be machined-off.

It goes back on the lathe and set-up is critical since I want a surface that is even all the way around. I used the same dial test-indicator as in the earlier picture and just jockeyed it around in the chuck until I got it "flat".

Sprocket 8 .jpg Sprocket 12 .jpg Sprocket 13 .jpg Sprocket 14 .jpg

Wbcor

Here it is temporarily mounted along with the front wheel and tire. It will get clear zinc plating before it get mounted permanently.

(I'm looking for a good chrome and zinc plating shop if you know of one please let me know. I am in Hillsboro, Oregon).

Thanks to Sam on this forum for the burnishing of the wheels!

I'm happy with how it turned-out. I'm looking forward to getting it plated.

Regards,
Bill

Sprocket 18 .jpg Sprocket 19 .jpg Sprocket 16 .jpg

Attachments

Frisco57

Here it is temporarily mounted along with the front wheel and tire. It will get clear zinc plating before it get mounted permanently.

(I'm looking for a good chrome and zinc plating shop if you know of one please let me know. I am in Hillsboro, Oregon).

Thanks to Sam on this forum for the burnishing of the wheels!

I'm happy with how it turned-out. I'm looking forward to getting it plated.

Regards,
Bill

View attachment 262985 View attachment 262986 View attachment 262987
Wow! Nice work! Are those old General tires? I'm running the same wheel and tire & the General tires have got to be really old but have held up well.

IMG_2774 (1).jpg

Wbcor

Wow! Nice work! Are those old General tires? I'm running the same wheel and tire & the General tires have got to be really old but have held up well.

View attachment 263092
Hi.
Yes, they are the original General tires, but the slightly larger size: Mine are 5.30/4.50 - 6 which were standard on the BC1300 which, I believe are 1” larger in diameter than yours which, I believe, were standard on the BC1200.
The tires sizes are noted on the period Bonanza specifications and they note that the BC1300 sits 1” taller than the 1200.

When I separated the wheel halves it was the first time in 52 years the inner tubes had been the light of day. Both inner tubes hold air perfectly and are made of nice thick rubber - much better than what could be bought today. I bought the Bonanza a few years ago and, although, it was missing some key original parts I’m glad it came with the original wheels and tires.

the tires are also 52 years old but are fine for putting around.

Do you have a Bonanza project going?

Regards,

Frisco57

Hi.
Yes, they are the original General tires, but the slightly larger size: Mine are 5.30/4.50 - 6 which were standard on the BC1300 which, I believe are 1” larger in diameter than yours which, I believe, were standard on the BC1200.
The tires sizes are noted on the period Bonanza specifications and they note that the BC1300 sits 1” taller than the 1200.

When I separated the wheel halves it was the first time in 52 years the inner tubes had been the light of day. Both inner tubes hold air perfectly and are made of nice thick rubber - much better than what could be bought today. I bought the Bonanza a few years ago and, although, it was missing some key original parts I’m glad it came with the original wheels and tires.

the tires are also 52 years old but are fine for putting around.

Do you have a Bonanza project going?

Regards,
Yes, I just finished my '67 BC1200 build that I started a year ago. Have you got more pics of your Bonanza build?
IMG_2744 (2).jpg IMG_3648.jpg

Last edited:

Wbcor

Very nice.
I’ll work on posting more pics. It’s a pile of parts at this point. I’m working-out the paint details and am a bit stymied. I want to use the three parts Nassau Blue and one part International Blue from a thread on this site, but the local PPG dealer doesn’t have the formula for the International Blue.
I might order the paint of the internet, but would prefer local dealer. I’ll end-up with too much, but maybe offer a couple of batches here for sale.
regards,
Bill