Bonanza

I know it's a bonanza. Is it a bc1300? I know there are subtle differences between models. The shocks have springs. What year is it. Did it have a jackshaft? The motor mount has a square chopped out of it for a chain to go through. Is it a simple bolt in To replace the jackshaft or cutting and welding? Never had one with a jack shaft before. The fork gators, rubber boots, fork shock covers, are they easy to find? What does the number mean? Is it the vin? I know, a lot of questions. Thanks for the info. Oh yeah. What's missing? Did it have a gas tank and a light? Haha. I will have a few more questions in the comments. Lol! Are the wheels reproduced by anyone? It's missing a front mag.

Attachments

Rear shocks are not orig. Should have jackshaft with rear wheel flipped, Ouch on the motor plate...

I would guess BC1200... But could have been 1300. Hard to know since the identifying parts seem to be gone.

1300 would have had a brakct on the back welded on for the brake light. Up by the seat if it dosent the. It's not a bc1300
Not true. The lights were optional. The bracket is an option as well. The tire size and engine size would be the only real way to tell a 1200 from a 1300. Look at this brochure. The 1300T and 1300SH do not have light brackets but you could get lights for them as well.

The lights would be optional but I wouldn't imagine the bracket would be. For a bc1300 I would think the bracket came on all. And bc 1300t and sh were 1200 frames with more options. But I could be wrong. I wasn't alive in the 60's and 70's so I can't say for sure.

To be technical it only say lights optional for bc1300 not t or sh.

Last edited:
It has the light bracket. I have noticed springs on the shocks in some of the photos I have seen on some of the models? I sat on it and they work great! Like a cloud! Both front and rear suspension. I coud get used to that!

The lights would be optional but I wouldn't imagine the bracket would be. For a bc1300 I would think the bracket came on all. And bc 1300t and sh were 1200 frames with more options. But I could be wrong. I wasn't alive in the 60's and 70's so I can't say for sure.

To be technical it only say lights optional for bc1300 not t or sh.
The bracket could have come on the bike or as an option.

It has the light bracket. I have noticed springs on the shocks in some of the photos I have seen on some of the models? I sat on it and they work great! Like a cloud! Both front and rear suspension. I coud get used to that!
As Not So mini bike stated those are not the original shocks.

Did it have a jackshaft? yes
Is it a simple bolt in To replace the jackshaft or cutting and welding? simple
The fork gators, rubber boots, fork shock covers, are they easy to find? originals/yes, reproductions/no but expensive
What does the number mean? Is it the vin? nothing/not a vin
Did it have a gas tank and a light? depends on which model it was
Are the wheels reproduced by anyone? no, check out the classifieds here or ebay for someone selling an original one

markus

Not true. The lights were optional. The bracket is an option as well. The tire size and engine size would be the only real way to tell a 1200 from a 1300. Look at this brochure. The 1300T and 1300SH do not have light brackets but you could get lights for them as well.

was a 1300 available in various models post '68 Like the bike Thad posted? They started expanding at that time with the MB and scout series so I never really oiticed :shrug:

Do I see the odd factory green paint hiding under the spraybomb job??? I call it green, but I am legally colorblind, not blind enough to know its not blue though :laugh:

Strictly Hodaka reproduced the fork gaiters for these bikes

Do I see the odd factory green paint hiding under the spraybomb job??? I call it green, but I am legally colorblind, not blind enough to know its not blue though :laugh:
Quick way to find out what color it originally was is to drill out the rivets on the fork badge. :thumbsup:

I found an old tank mount. It may be a bc1400 because of that the shocks and the foot pegs. Possibly a be 1500. The guy I bought it from said it had a 2.5 horse on it he thought but he sold it. That's why i was thinking a lower model. I will have to look it over a bit better. Thank you to everyone! You guys are the greatest! Wow, I bet this one is expensive to restore.

I found an old tank mount. It may be a bc1400 because of that the shocks and the foot pegs. Possibly a be 1500. The guy I bought it from said it had a 2.5 horse on it he thought but he sold it. That's why i was thinking a lower model. I will have to look it over a bit better. Thank you to everyone! You guys are the greatest! Wow, I bet this one is expensive to restore.
The foot pegs don't matter. They were all in the middle like yours for the bikes made in those years. Those shocks aren't original at all. They would be Sebacs if the bike was a 1400 or 1500 and those aren't Sebacs. Plus a 1400 or 1500 have bolt on handle bars. Yours does not. :doah: It is still a BC1300

Last edited:
The foot pegs don't matter. They were all in the middle like yours for the bikes made in those years. Those shocks aren't original at all. They would be Sebacs if the bike was a 1400 or 1500 and those aren't Sebacs. Plus a 1400 or 1500 have bolt on handle bars. Yours does not. :doah: It is still a BC1300
I don't think any of the bc models used sebacs. only the mx models used the sebacs. All the bc model shocks from the 1300, 1400 and 1500 were made by bonanza.

I don't think any of the bc models used sebacs. only the mx models used the sebacs. All the bc model shocks from the 1300, 1400 and 1500 were made by bonanza.
Really, They look like Sebacs on the 1400 and 1500 in the brochure pic that Markus posted. I know the 1300s had shocks made by Bonanza. I do know the shocks on his bike are not original though.

Last edited:
The 1300 had the internal door closer looking shock and the 1400 and 1500 had external springs although I've seen some 1300sh (hodaka) with the external spring type but I believe they were all made by bonanza exempt for the mx models made by sebac

The 1300 had the internal door closer looking shock and the 1400 and 1500 had external springs although I've seen some 1300sh (hodaka) with the external spring type but I believe they were all made by bonanza exempt for the mx models made by sebac
Do you have any pictures of the shocks made by Bonanza with the external springs? I guess I never noticed.