Bonanzo restoration ?????

Hi all, Happy new year!

I acquired an old Bonanza, and I have a question.

Some dipstick got red spray paint all over the tires and rims. I'm not worried about getting it off the metal surfaces, but I am wondering if anyone knows of a good way to get paint off the tires without damaging the rubber. Will paint thinner damage rubber?

Also, the forks/tree is bent, so to go straight, you have to steer sideways a bit. Any suggestions for straightening it out?

air craft remover "tal strip" works great, but its pretty potent stuff and will burn your skin, so becareful. can also use brake parts cleaner (CRC etc). Quite honestly a lot of stuff will get the paint off...Heck you could probably use Castrol Super Clean and a pressure washer as well...

george3

Any thing you put on tires to remove the pant will affect the rubber, cause cracks later. I would use acetone the type in an auto paint store. Wash with good after with soap and water, then dry and use the turtle wax brand its like armor all, but alot better.

71dodge

air craft remover "tal strip" works great, but its pretty potent stuff and will burn your skin, so becareful. can also use brake parts cleaner (CRC etc). Quite honestly a lot of stuff will get the paint off...Heck you could probably use Castrol Super Clean and a pressure washer as well...
yea aircraft remover hurts like a :censure: when it hits your skin ughhhh i got it on my mouth one time and WOW

Hi all, Happy new year!

I acquired an old Bonanza, and I have a question.

Some dipstick got red spray paint all over the tires and rims. I'm not worried about getting it off the metal surfaces, but I am wondering if anyone knows of a good way to get paint off the tires without damaging the rubber. Will paint thinner damage rubber?

Also, the forks/tree is bent, so to go straight, you have to steer sideways a bit. Any suggestions for straightening it out?
I use acetone to clean off overspray...

I suggest heating the bent forks with a torch while straightening them...

Softening the metal prevents cracks and reduces the force needed to bring the tube back to place...

A straight edge is a must also...eyeballs can miss by a mile.

i have used gas it works some times mineral spirits, lacquer thinner can work but dont soak it in the stuff .like leave it in a bucket it will mess up rubber if left for too long .i would start with the soft solvents and move up , mineral spirits , gas , lacquer thinner , i take a rag wet it and set that on the spot . let it sit a few mins and try . what ever means you use tho i would drench the tire in some thing like a tire wet , armorall ,some kind of rubber protective goo , the solvent will pull oil out of the rubber .

something to try , get some of that tire bleach ? tire white ? i cant think of the name but the tire car stuff in a pump bottle that cleans and brightens your tires . i used it on some rubber mat and it did a good job made it look new .just make sure you use a tire wet or some thing like then your done to help protect the rubber

125ccCrazy

I use Heavy Duty Easy Off oven cleaner to remove paint from plastic, tires, glass.... DON'T use it on aluminum however or it will eat it up..