Boonie Bike Project

Hi all.... I'm going to run through my Boonie build up to present. I started the actual build back in April. As of today it still isn't done but is close. Attached is a pic as it sits today: o1.JPG I originally had a Boonie back when I was 15 - got it for a Christmas present in 1968. I sold it after I was out of High School and regretted it ever since.

I finally bought another one about 4 years ago - drove over 200 miles to get it, It was basically a basket case: frame, forks ,F&R wheels with original tires, both fenders and a jackshaft (converted to a single speed). He also gave me an incomplete 5hp B&S engine (not period correct tin-wise).

I had Karen (Manchester1) make me a seat (the seat it came with was tattered and wood bottom rotted out).
I bought a repro chain cover with mounts and decal from Rick Chatten.
Bike sat in the garage for next few years while I slowly collected more pieces here and there.

I started getting various pieces off and on for the next couple years:

A) Bought a newer running 5hp B&S engine and bought a set of vintage decals for a late sixties 5hp engine.

B) Got a twist throttle and L/side hand grip, brake lever and cable.

C) Got some #35 chain and a new centrifigal clutch (plan on running it with a single speed for now).

With the virus shutting things down I decided to start on the Boonie Bike.
APRIL 2020:
Weather was pretty warm around here so I started cleaning the frame and forks - last year I had to straighten the forks slight bend on upper left handlebar). The crossbar for footpegs were bent up and broke off (prior owner had run a long bar thruogh the tube to hold it together. I cut it off and welded a 1" crossbar to the frame. Cleaned the 2 fenders and wheels.

MAY 2020:

I repaired 2 small cracks on the front fender then primed and painted the fenders: 2 coats white primer, 3 coats gloss white and 2 coats gloss clear

Next I painted the chain cover: 2 coats primer, 3 coats gloss white and 2 coats gloss clear.
cc1.JPG
Installed the decal on the cover:
cc2.JPG cc3.JPG

MAY 2020:

I decided to retain the original paint color on the frame and forks. The original patina had some scuff marks, surface rust, etc. that gave it character and had it's own hidden story. The fenders I had decided to repaint because the front one needed repair and were both painted black plus since I had to paint the chaincover and the engine I was using for now was black. The clean white turned out to be a nice contrast with the original patina.

Once the frame was cleaned up I tried to make the replaced crossbar match the patina. I sprayed 3 coats of gloss clear on the frame and forks.

b1.JPG b2.JPG b4.JPG b6.JPG b5.JPG

May 2020:

I painted the rear hub/axle assembly gloss white. I polished the rear axle and retaining nuts.

e.JPG

I soaked the front fork bolt, spring and nut in Evaporust. I checked the 2 fork bushings for wear and polished them. I also polished the bolt, nut and spring.
I then installed the front fork to the frame.

d.JPG

JUNE 2020:

I riveted the ID tag to the underside of the crossbrace under the seat and then installed the seat onto the frame. Seat really looked great on the bike!
I installed the L/side grip and twist throttle to the handlebars.
I installed the brake lever onto the L/side handlebar.
I installed the foot peg covers on the crossbar.
I installed the front fender to the forks.

c.JPG f4.JPG f.JPG g.JPG g5.JPG g6.JPG

JUNE 2020:

I taped off the rear wheel and painted 2 coats of white primer and 2 coats of gloss white.
I then installed the wheel to the rear hub. I temporarily installed the rear wheel assembly to the frame (have to remove later to install rear brakes and sprocket.

h2.JPG h3.JPG i.JPG i3.JPG

I then cleaned the kickstand and hardware in Evaporust, polished all the pieces and installed on the frame.

f2.JPG

Stuck another wheel/tire on front to facilitate rolling bike around.

Attachments

JUNE 2020:

The front tire on the wheel was in bad shape so I took it off and will try to replace it with something similar to the original. I painted the whell with 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of gloss white.

I installed the rear fender to the frame. I couldn't find the original front brace so I made one out of a flat steel bar and painted it white. I then installed it to the bike.

June 2020:

I started on the engine using the later 5hp Briggs I bought prior. I had an older tank with the tank mounted carb with the rear slide out choke and decided to use it on this engine. The crankcase cover was the wrong style (didn't have hole for the chain cover stud mount). I scrounged the right cover in my stash of spare parts. Had to order a new gasket for it so engine is on hold for now.

July 2020:

Of course after making a new fender bracket the old one showed up! I decided to just keep the one I made on the bike and use the original for a later project.

July 2020:

I found a front tire that was very similar to the original. Mounted it to the wheel - what a pain!!!!! I finally had a friend that had a guy where he works put the tire on for me. he had some old style tire mounting tools and worked on lawn type equipment on the side. He didn't charge me anything so that was a great deal!!
I had to touch up a few chips on the wheel from mounting the tire then installed the bearings and mounted it to the front forks.

Attachments

JULY 2020:

I cleaned up the various engine parts and painted the engine assembly, crankcase cover, air cleaner housing, cooling tin, carb & tank, starter housing and muffler. Still waiting for gaskets.
Didn't get any pictures of engine parts painted. Changed black color to white like the original engine.

JULY 2020:

I ordered some locking collars for the jackshaft, also some new bearings. I soaked all the parts in Evaporust. then cleaned them all up on a brass wire wheel.
I am going to just run it as a one-speed for now. I hated the original 2 speed. I broke and replaced more springs on my old bike I think I could have depleted Heathkit's stock!!!! I was pretty rough at 15 years old! I didn't ever shift on the move but still busted a bunch of them.
At least the frame, shaft and right-side gear are all original still.

JULY 2020:

I bought an original headlight assembly back in May from "Capguncowboy". It was all there with no dents with a little surface rust and a tiny bit of pitting in a couple spots. I cleaned it up and looks pretty good now -fits in with the frame patina.

n1.JPG n2.JPG

Thanks! I'm having fun and your seat looks good on it! I haven't had much time to work on it lately - hopefully in a couple weeks..............

AUG 2020:

I mounted the rear sprocket and rear axle tp the rear wheel. I had cleaned up the pieces to the brake assembly and installed the rear wheel and brake assembly onto the frame.

I assembled the jackshaft assembly and loosely mounted it to the frame.

Installed the headlight to the front forks.

n5.JPG n3.JPG n4.JPG n6.JPG