Brake Light Switch

So I decided that I would like to add tail, brake and headlight to my MTD Trail Flite.
Bike has drum brakes with cables. I bought a switch that will work, and had a plan to make it all work.
Plan was to weld a small bracket to the underside of the mounted part of the brake handle to mount the switch, then another small tab on the hinged handle part that would contact the switch.
I found a washer and threaded it to match the M8-1.0 threads on the switch, then ground a flat spot on the washer to weld to the mounted part of the handle.
I thought I was a genius until I tried to TIG weld the washer to it. Even though the metal is magnetic, it must be cast because the metal would not really puddle at all and I was unsuccessful at welding it. I do have some silicon bronze filler rod and I might try TIG braising the washer on.

So for any other members who try this, don’t waste your time trying to weld on cast brake handles. I wasted a couple hours trying it.
If I have to I can make a bracket that will thread in, but I have to go back to the drawing board on that one.
I’ll try he brazing and see how that goes.

So i ditched the braising idea.
Decided to make a bolt on bracket for the switch. Made a small steel plate to fit the brake handle mount, then drilled (#29) and tapped two 8-32 holes in the mount. Welded a 8mm x 1.00 nut onto the plate (to thread the switch into) and bolted that to the brake handle.
Luckily the brake handle is steel, so i just welded a small 90 degree tab to the handle to engage the switch.
I tried to take pics of the process but i always forget to take the pics lol.
I did take a video of the brake light working though and can take pics of everything tomorrow.

minibikefever

just finishing up my trail flite wiring my new lights now I thought about a brake light but it wasn't a priority then I saw your post and would like to know where you found the switch, I like the thought its too bad the weld didnt pan out

I looked at those too, from what I read, they are not very robust.
Plus, I bought some nice brake cables for this bike. They have threaded ends with clevises.
No way am I going to cut my perfectly working $$$ cable to install a piece of plastic.

Look, I posted this thread to show what I did.
I wasn’t asking if it was the best way to do it or not. It the way I decided to do it.
I looked at the Chinese brake handle with the switch, and the little white plastic cable type switch.
I decided that they were not a good fit for this project, decided to figure it out myself.
Given the type of bike it is and the parts already on the bike, I feel this was the best way to go about it.

I don’t believe that is a bad thing.

Rupp King
I want to reiterate that I am not mad at you, nor anyone else here. I have bought parts from you and have had nothing but great experiences. My sincerest apologies to you as you were just trying to help.
I’m sorry, my bad.

minibikefever

Yeah
I guess if i couldn’t design and build stuff or know how to weld, i’d order a cheap chinese one too.
I thought you did a good job on what you were trying to accomplish and certainly wasn't criticizing you, I have the same bike and was just curious about hooking up the brake light, sorry for commenting.