Brake locking wheel when pushed backwards

Title says it all, I can push the bike forward but when I try to push it backwards the brake seems to be catching the disc and locks the wheel. The pads could use replacement but could it be something else? Brake works and isn’t rubbing but I think I may just replace the entire handle/line/caliper soon

It seems as if the caliper may not be lined up to the rotor properly i'm thinking of adding a couple washers behind the mounting screws of the caliper to act as spacers (like in photo) i think the pads are getting caught on the holes of the rotor. any thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:
It seems as if the caliper may not be lined up to the rotor properly i'm thinking of adding a couple washers behind the mounting screws of the caliper to act as spacers (like in photo) i think the pads are getting caught on the holes of the rotor. any thoughts?
Have you removed the caliper, placed it on the rotor near the mounting bracket and squeezed the brake lever? Then look a bunch and alternately squeeze and release. You should gain a bit of info. Maybe enough to solve the problem. Lubricating the entire brake system according to the manufacturer also assures that it is working properly and nothing is dragging.

The pads are also worn very unevenly so I’ll at least replace those. I suspect the last kid that owned it used the brake with only one bolt holding on the entire brake assembly (hence the different bolt I put on) always aggravating when you buy from these kids that don’t take care of their stuff :rolleyes: :mad:

Well after doing some research it seems as if the hydraulic brake caliper for these bikes have some sort of design on the caliper pins that lock the wheel when pushed backwards for some reason. Just some useful info if anyone wants to know...

Those calipers are junk. I've had 2 fail (1 catastrophically) and 2 other friends had them fail as well. One of mine went from having brakes to zero brakes, not fun on an almost 50mph bike. Keep an eye on it. I wish there was another bolt on hydraulic option out there for these bikes.

There is a "spring" that that sits behind the pads. When you pull the 2 bolts on the one side it wants to push it apart.

Those calipers are junk. I've had 2 fail (1 catastrophically) and 2 other friends had them fail as well. One of mine went from having brakes to zero brakes, not fun on an almost 50mph bike. Keep an eye on it. I wish there was another bolt on hydraulic option out there for these bikes.

There is a "spring" that that sits behind the pads. When you pull the 2 bolts on the one side it wants to push it apart.
Yes i agree these hydraulic brakes seem like junk, i noted the spring as well. I was just considering putting a cable brake back on and be done with it