Bride of Frankenstein - a cure for leftover parts cluttering the workshop.

Tanshanomi

Read through the entire thread this morning. Great build. When you made the baffle for your muffler did you keep the same plug with the center hole?
Yes, the plug has to be there, otherwise the exhaust gases would take the path of least resistance and shoot straight down the center of the pipe, unmuffled. The plug forces the exhaust to go out the holes in the mesh tube, through the baffles, and back through to the center.

Also, the baffle "spool" is attached to the center plug with an allen screw to keep everything aligned.

Last edited:
A little misunderstanding. I was asking if you used the same plug with the holesaw drill bit hole in it, or, did you use a new plug with no center hole. Just curious since I don't know which way would be better, or if it would even matter considering that it is only a 1/4 hole. It might, I guess it depends on what percentage of your exhaust flow would be going straight through.
I don't know jack squat about muffler design, just wanted to see which way you went with that plug. I appreciate your reply.

Tanshanomi

A little misunderstanding. I was asking if you used the same plug with the holesaw drill bit hole in it, or, did you use a new plug with no center hole. Just curious since I don't know which way would be better, or if it would even matter considering that it is only a 1/4 hole. It might, I guess it depends on what percentage of your exhaust flow would be going straight through.
I don't know jack squat about muffler design, just wanted to see which way you went with that plug. I appreciate your reply.
I used the same plug with the small hole in it. This project is all about recycling!

Tanshanomi

I tried adding some heavy-duty 3M vinyl sheet to the tank to cover up the ghosted Can-Am decals. It went on impressively well and looked great initially, but it kept developing bubbles over time. I understand that this is a common issue with plastic tanks, which can be liquid-tight while not creating an absolutely, 100% vapor-proof barrier. So it all came off, and I tried some perforated vehicle wrap instead. It solves the problem of trapped vapor lifting the decal, but it is much more brittle and fragile. That made it much trickier to apply, and it doesn’t look nearly as nice. I also could not apply my faux Panther tank decals over it. But as with everything else on this bike, the way forward was to adapt to what the bike told me it wanted.

And with that, I am calling this project complete. The bike works as well and looks as good as it probably ever will. So here is The Bride’s official completion gallery.

Attachments

DaddyJohn

Unfortunately, the "next thing" isn't a mini-bike, so I won't be covering it here.

View attachment 307650
1982 Suzuki GS750 forks/wheels/brakes, early 70’s BSA Thunderbolt tank, Taco engine, and other valuable stuff from the pile? I’m getting ready to start a Guzzi cafe racer build. Mini bikes happen in bits and moments when I want to work on something, but not get too involved. Like watching a YouTube video or two instead of committing to a whole movie, lol…

Tanshanomi

1982 Suzuki GS750 forks/wheels/brakes, early 70’s BSA Thunderbolt tank, Taco engine, and other valuable stuff from the pile? I’m getting ready to start a Guzzi cafe racer build. Mini bikes happen in bits and moments when I want to work on something, but not get too involved. Like watching a YouTube video or two instead of committing to a whole movie, lol…
It's not really stuff from the pile, more along the lines of how the pile originated. I've wanted a Bultaco road bike for over 40 years. I've had four Bultacos, including a 250 vintage roadracer I built out of a '76 Pursang 250 and a Suzuki GT250K front end, but never anything street legal. A custom 360 Bultaco street bike has been my ultimate dream motorcycle my whole adult life. The basic concept of Suzuki cast wheels goes back to a mockup I did waaay back in the mid 1990s (tiny res image attached). I've been working on the one in the photo above off-and-on since 2011 (as my budget allows), but realized that I lacked a lot of the necessary skills or tools to build it properly back then. So, I've worked through a number of "practice bikes" such as The Bride in the interim, to increase my fabrication skills and knowledge. I recently had the engine professionally rebuilt, and I am ready to get back at it.

360proposed.jpg

Triley41395

That thing is great. You've done a fine job building and chronicled your build very nicely. I hope to see some more of your future endeavors even if they are not mini's.
Thank you sir for letting us be a part of your build.