Briggs 5hp cuts out at full throttle

I have Briggs 5hp snow blower engine on a doodlebug with a clone mikuni carb when I open the throttle all the way it cuts off..I should mention how I have it mounted it doesn't stand straight up....any suggestions?

chrisr

If the float type carb is not level, you will not the correct amount of fuel in the fuel bowl as well as the mixture via the main jet will also be off since it not able to meter correctly. If possible, the float type carb should be level, if diagram type carb - disregard, since they do not care about being level...

I have Briggs 5hp snow blower engine on a doodlebug with a clone mikuni carb when I open the throttle all the way it cuts off..I should mention how I have it mounted it doesn't stand straight up....any suggestions?
Did you adjust the float to compensate for the angle it's mounted at? What main jet size are you running? What differences have you encountered when moving the metering jet up a couple of notches?

There are many people both past and present on this forum who have had great luck with Mikunis, and Chikunis, a name we call the Chinese versions. They work especially well on the Briggs engines. They are not a plug and play carburetor.

You are going lean. You have too much air flow and not enough fuel. If all things are correct like no leaks and float adjustment, ie it has fuel, then your main jet is too small, and/or your metering needle sits too low in the main jet not allowing enough fuel to flow.

First off...thanks everybody for the info...because of you I have a few things to try when I get home Monday... will post as soon as i get started....can't wait

Did you adjust the float to compensate for the angle it's mounted at? What main jet size are you running? What differences have you encountered when moving the metering jet up a couple of notches?

There are many people both past and present on this forum who have had great luck with Mikunis, and Chikunis, a name we call the Chinese versions. They work especially well on the Briggs engines. They are not a plug and play carburetor.

You are going lean. You have too much air flow and not enough fuel. If all things are correct like no leaks and float adjustment, ie it has fuel, then your main jet is too small, and/or your metering needle sits too low in the main jet not allowing enough fuel to flow.
This an old post I know but the last paragraph is backwards. If you cut out at WOT it is due to being to rich on fuel.