Briggs 5HP Flathead to Mikuni VM22 Intake manifold

Not too much.
I have some random intakes i bought years ago, think some of them will fit a briggs.
You’ll have to take some measurements so we can see if anything fits. These are used pieces so would let it go cheap

I may have one that will work for you, but it will have to wait a few days as i am out of town at the moment
You could make one. Cut some plate steel to match your two gaskets. Use some yard sale bicycle handlebars that have the right curve. Find a welder to finish it. Or aluminum if you like

You could make one. Cut some plate steel to match your two gaskets. Use some yard sale bicycle handlebars that have the right curve. Find a welder to finish it. Or aluminum if you like
I have made some aluminum ones for Hs50 engines but not for Briggs

delray

whats the bolt spacing on the mikuni....the stock intakes for the briggs bowl carbs is roughly 1 7/8" http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=312859656283

markus I don't think that will work at all. that's off a newer small block briggs. it would be different from a big block briggs.
center hole on a mikuni 22 carb is also off set down little from the bolt pattern.
that plastic intake madifold would of came off a engine like this.

markus

markus I don't think that will work at all. that's off a newer small block briggs. it would be different from a big block briggs.
center hole on a mikuni 22 carb is also off set down little from the bolt pattern.
that plastic intake madifold would of came off a engine like this.
they also used them on the Industrial plus 5hp engines. For example this thread shows a shot of the cover off exposing the intake and also show the engines model number https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/nos-briggs-and-stratton-industrial-plus-5hp.111069/

Using the engine model number and looking at carburetor section you will see its Part #50 (Which is also listed in the ebay listing above) and if you click on that you will see that the description/model fit list shows they used it on a 90000 series (3.5 and 13000 series 5hp) they all had matching port/bolt pattern on the block. https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/briggs-stratton/691922

I thought Mikuni made a carb with the bolt holes centered on the flange?
Could be wrong but i thought @joshua. c. told me about it?
Could an adaptor be made?

when i did a search i found that same part number and plastic intake but i don’t have a Briggs here that i can measure

delray

ok ,got this engine and the intake and a big block 5hp

from what I can see the intake will not bolt up to a older big block briggs.

maybe on the newer models they might?but that just means the ports will also be much smaller too.
i get about .080 smaller, thats lot smaller.

I don't have any of my mikuni carb's off to measure. I do have some pictures save from my hs-40 build and ran a mikuni on that and you can see my adapter plate i have it outline with the mikuni on it and the center hole is much larger and it drops quite a bit.

delray

I thought Mikuni made a carb with the bolt holes centered on the flange?
Could be wrong but i thought @joshua. c. told me about it?
Could an adaptor be made?

when i did a search i found that same part number and plastic intake but i don’t have a Briggs here that i can measure
briggs might sell a performance carb that would bolt up and work with the newer engine stuff? maybe the 22mm animal carb hole might be center?but the ports wouldn't still match?

markus

OP has a late model Fun power, as stated in his first post, it will have the wider pattern as its past when they went to wider pattern on newer style carbs in the 80's. I would not have suggested as a possible option if he had stated it was an old model engine with the smaller patterns......

Left is a 5 right is a 3 (and still a solid front square shaped early style block which is the only reason its still in my garage and not in the landfill )

markus

Markus what type of block is that...raptor?
And head? Angle plug...
Port looks real big.
Looks like a hot rod builder..
Yes it was built up pretty big.....It was done in the late 80/early90's by a machinist. Ports are too big for my liking but It came with a bunch of really cool long gone out of production racing parts that were all new and unused since it got shelved back after its last refresh and setup in the early 90's