Briggs 5hp help needed

I picked up a 5hp Briggs, Model 130202. It didn't have a spark so I checked it out and the coil wire was cut. I went ahead and replaced the coil and the points. Everything is set correctly by the book. I have checked it about 5 times and I'm not getting any spark. What am I missing?

make sure the flywheel key is ok. make sure when points are open the connection point where the condenser and kill switch connect is not grounded.

This is a tecumseh magneto but the condenser and kill wire connect to the post on the bottom of the picture. Shouldn't your engine have a CDI? Not sure of what a briggs magneto looks like. Do you have points and coil under the flywheel?

Attachments

markus

If the coil wire was cut it probably was converted to electronic ignition. The shade tree mechanic way is to just cut the wire to the points and install the solid state pickup on the coil or the all on one unit rather than remove points/condenser, plunger and plug the plunger hole under the flywheel.

If the coil wire was cut it probably was converted to electronic ignition. The shade tree mechanic way is to just cut the wire to the points and install the solid state pickup on the coil or the all on one unit rather than remove points/condenser, plunger and plug the plunger hole under the flywheel.
It had all of the old stuff in it when I pulled it open. One wire was attached to one of the bolts that holds the coil on, the other was the one that was cut and it went to the condenser. I replaced everything, coil, points, condenser, it should work now.

Personally. I never screw around with spark problems with points and condenser-equipped Briggs engines. I just immediately switch them over to electronic ("Magnetron") ignition and be done with it.
Michael