Briggs 5HP I/C build ...I need some guidance!

CarPlayLB

I got that intake from eBay...bored one night and scoured 100's of Briggs 5HP parts...it fits this combo perfectly! I tried to look up the old listing, but it has been too long ago. I also tried to see if there was any marking on the part...no such luck. If I recall, this is an OEM Briggs part...good luck!

CarPlayLB

To make that head work, I bought aluminum 6061 thread rod, tapped the holes that need filling, plug weld them, have the resurfaced, and then polish. You have to have patience, good friends, a good welder/machinist, and the will to get it done!

Yes, it is bolted to that engine and they do run well!

Wow. I love this look. I can see where the side cover would dress up nicely with my bench buffer, but the main casting. What do you start with? A sanding wheel of some kind? I can see wearing out a Dremel tool on this with my obsessive/compulsive disorder.

Are you finished with this beauty Eric?

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

'Sup Hef?
I used the scotchbrite looking round sanding wheels on a die grinder to get started. Started with 80 grit and worked my way up to 1500. It is a lot of work and not for the timid! I have a buffing wheel now, but back then it was all small tools and it took a long time to get a shine. This is an old thread and the engine is now living somewhere in the the depths of PA!

Thanks for the quick tutorial, Eric. I got the idea now. Hey, the winters my neck of the woods last 9 1/2 months. It starts in about two or three weeks from now.

The '94 3.5hp motor that's going in my Fox is not going to get that treatment. At least yet. I have a '65 4hp B&S too. Or I'll stumble across another project engine. But at some point, I am going to do this, minus the Edelbrock and most of the billet parts. Love that look.

I74

I am still a parts collector. I have my billet rod (anyone have a billet flywheel for sale?), a Crane Cams 91004 (pretty mild cam), lifters, blower housing and pull start, billet intake...etc.
DAMN JEFF CLARK! Him and his "Bungholio" got me into this

I am too flippin cheap to have this done, so I bought a polisher and all the bits that go with it. Probably spent double what it would cost to have it done, but I can always do other stuff now too!
Give Jeff some props...this is hard work!
That's awesome ! :)

Am all about polishing alum. Love the look of it.

If it was mine,, I would polish the top of all the fins also .
Those you just go over them with a bit of sandpaper first.

I use the fine Scotchbrite ''a lot'' also. ;)

Crane ''used to'' make some pretty nice cams back in the day ….
Put a bunch of them in old school big twin Harley's,, & misc. Chrysler engines.

Last edited:

NorCal

That's awesome ! :)

Am all about polishing alum. Love the look of it.

If it was mine,, I would polish the top of all the fins also .
Those you just go over them with a bit of sandpaper first.

I use the fine Scotchbrite ''a lot'' also. ;)

Crane ''used to'' make some pretty nice cams back in the day ….
Put a bunch of them in old school big twin Harley's,, & misc. Chrysler engines.
This is a 7 year old thread.

I74

Yes I do Charles.
Up top there is a rectangular box that has a left & right ad in it.
One on the left is usually pretty easy to look at,, as it's usually European ect. girls is skimpy attire. ''LOL''!!!! :p
One on the right,, is always an OldMiniBikes pop up pic of something in a thread.

Yes I do Charles.
Up top there is a rectangular box that has a left & right ad in it.
One on the left is usually pretty easy to look at,, as it's usually European ect. girls is skimpy attire. ''LOL''!!!! :p
One on the right,, is always an OldMiniBikes pop up pic of something in a thread.
I get none of that on my W10 desktop PC, W10 laptop PC or Samsung Galaxy phone. I run Malwarebytes on all three, maybe it gets rid of them.

I74

I use a W10 desktop myself.
Miss the old XP,, it was great !
Everything's about apps & pop ups ect. any more … :rolleyes: