Briggs 5hp Restoration + Questions

Hey, don't don't know why but it seems the _)&(*%^@#$! eBay link above got borked, pretty annoying and I couldn't edit it in time (only 5 minutes allowed for editing here?!?!? sheesh...) but it is eBay item #251718564256. Again, kinda spendy....I try to get them at around $12-15. Good luck! (I'm off to bed.....)
Shipping for that is $34 NZD, crazy right! My order for a billet rod, 7/8 throttle grip kit, 4 inch band brake and a valve spring compressor was 43 bucks to ship :eek:ut: Could be worse, though.

Got my stickers today. They are not water transfer, but they were the cheapest I could find, and they look good :thumbsup: Only $10 shipped from Australia :laugh: I also have stuff painted. Thoughts?

Yep, got a dremel. We were worried that we would accidentally screw the block? How far down can you go and how much of an increase does it even give? Performance wise...

Until you put a cam in it, anything does little. But it does add up.

All I do on Briggs 5hp is to take the edge off between the valves and the cylinder.

Take a sharpie and a head gasket. Set the gasket on the block and mark the area the gasket does not cover between the valves and the cylinder. I then take a sanding roll and smooth the lip(eyebrow) by the valve so it is more like a gentle ramp towards the cylinder.

Some people will take the block down to where that edge is even from valve to where the upper ring stops. I think that is too far, but everyone has an opinion.

I don't like taking out a lot as all the metal you sand away lowers compression.

The exhaust side is less important in the eyebrow area as the gasses are being pushed out, but the intake side should be smooth.

Sometimes I think people forget the exhaust is under pressure and the flow is not the same as when under vacuum, ie: less than atmospheric.

Last edited:
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Going to do a valve grind soon.

Now, what is the difference between a stock, 74 pulsa jet, vs a raptor carb from the 90's/2000's? It it worth getting one?

When I put the motor back together, do I still need that plastic cam driven thing? Im not thinking so.

I'm still debating whether its worth upgrading the carb or not.

wow! that block is looking sharp, good job!

what kind of paint did you go with? I've always used the VHT high-temp engine paint so far (or high-temp BBQ paint once on a motorcycle engine, lol, 10 years on it still looks great!)

wow! that block is looking sharp, good job!

what kind of paint did you go with? I've always used the VHT high-temp engine paint so far (or high-temp BBQ paint once on a motorcycle engine, lol, 10 years on it still looks great!)

I used the VHT in that picture, just white in colour. Has a smooth, almost plastic like surface. Certainly is tough!

Did some Greening Up today, to match the bike :thumbsup: I think it makes it look, well, great!

Waiting on my billet rod and gasket set, and then we should be good to go :laugh:

It would be great if I could find a different spark plug head screw thing, but nothing fits! I like the look of the old plug :thumbsup:

All that it needs are for me to put the decals on! Thought it turned out great! What do you guys think :confused: Pretty ok job for a 14 year old, am I right? :laugh:

Nice job getting it looking good and back in one piece. Now, does it run :wink:
I filled er up with SAE 30 today, but I am a bit nervous of the gas and paint, mixing :doah: Ill mount it to my bike frame and fire er up :laugh: I will probably give you guys a video aswell :thumbsup: The sooner I get this done, The sooner the H35 gets a rebuild!

Help Needed! Every time she fires, it backfires out the exhaust and hurts my hand! I had it running well before but now it won't. The key is not sheared, I have checked it. I know the cam is also timed correctly. I'm tired of the recoil flying away! Fuel or ether down the carb makes it fire out of there (with smoke). Just realised I forgot the recoil starter washer! Does this make a difference??? :doah:

Thanks in advance

It sounds like the cam timing is off.. the dot on the gear matches up with the V notch on the cam gear. im sure you already know this..