Briggs 5s Project

Hey all,

I just bought a Briggs 5s motor. I love these little things! I had a 5s at one point but it never went (no spark), so I sold that. I bought this for $10 bucks. :laugh:

She is a good runner! Fires up but needs a carb and tank clean. I think that I will repaint her in black, with new water transfer decals. Luckily, the info plate at the rear is in perfect condition! :thumbsup:

Also looks like I have a very rare plastic air cleaner housing! it is in perfect condition, no cracks or anything! I will try and bring it back to new condition, somehow.

Also, the head is cast iron, not the more mainstream aluminium head.

The tag numbers are 5S 700030 579445 if anybody knows the year for the old girl :thumbsup:

I don't want to just do it up and sell it, however. I want to use this on something! Because the shaft is only 1/2 inch it makes it useless for many, if not all types of clutches. This means it's only good for running pulleys and sprockets. So, I have been debating the idea of a DIY generator/battery charger for quite a while now. I have 3 old alternators laying around, so I thought I could run a belt to one, mount it on a custom frame, and charge a battery. I am envisioning a retro, 1950s style sort of deal. Black motor, light blue frame and the like.

I have:

The early 50s 5S.
An Alternator w/pulley
An engine pulley

I need:
A belt
An Amp Gauge
Tubing
Steel to make brackets
Paint

Let me know what you think. This motor is too good of a runner to be a show engine, and I am determined to put it back to work!

Is this do-able?

-jack....eo21

Last edited:
I believe your engine dates back to end of 1951, the 5S is one of Briggs' most produced engine and parts should be easy to find. The SAV-T-VUE oil bath air filter is quite valuable if the housing is not distorted or cracked, however, not sure if they came originally on Briggs engines. I see them more on Clinton or Lauson engines. If you plan to run an automotive alternator, best to calculate your pulley setup so you can reach the RPM necessary to put out the voltage needed to charge the battery.

I believe it is 1hp. I know my buddy had one on his bicycle and use to ride it around. Made a cool "Plut,plut,Plut,plut" sound... He just had it mounted to the rear rack over the tire. It was a ten speed bike but he used a bmx style rear wheel. Looked like something a mad scientist would have ridden in high school.

I have a non-running 5S waiting in storage for me to finish my current Briggs project before I can restore it or at least try to get it to run. I really like the look and sound of these little engines but I'm not sure what I will even do with it. In my mind I had envisioned building a replica WW2 era military AC light plant, or belted to the antique apple cider press we use so we don't have to hand-crank it lol

Kind of like this:

hqdefault.jpg

I believe you can get step-up adapters to use 3/4" or 1" accessories on that tiny 1/2" shaft. I was going to have a machine shop make one but I think they're also commercially available.

Hi, I don't know if you still have this motor. The cast iron head was usually found on the WI engines. I have a WI and a 5S. Bought the pair for $30 and have both of them running. I'm in the process of powering a 60's bicycle with the 5S. I have some plans from a 40's or 50's Popular mechanics or Mechanics Illustrated.