Briggs 6hp Intek 190 was staring at me....

Look what was siting over in the yard staring at me trying to get my attention. Briggs & Stratton 6hp Intek 190 pressure washer motor w/ a bad pump. I bought it a few years ago off of Craigslist and used it one summer, and then it stopped starting. I cleaned the carbs this winter, and still couldn't get it to start. Took the Gererac pump off of it, and saw why it wouldn't start. Very last internal bearing set had cracked into 3 or 4 pieces. By by pump. Hello running motor. Right now it starts up, but only SCREAMS at full throttle. It does not idle calmly before shutting down. Is that because of the governor set up for the pressure washer pump and has zero load on it? I would like to put this on a frame eventually. Any ideas come to mind?

Edit: uh oh, I just measured the spindle. Its 7/8". I believe I read somewhere that 7/8" clutches are not cheap. Am I correct about that?

Attachments

Look what was siting over in the yard staring at me trying to get my attention. Briggs & Stratton 6hp Intek 190 pressure washer motor w/ a bad pump. I bought it a few years ago off of Craigslist and used it one summer, and then it stopped starting. I cleaned the carbs this winter, and still couldn't get it to start. Took the Gererac pump off of it, and saw why it wouldn't start. Very last internal bearing set had cracked into 3 or 4 pieces. By by pump. Hello running motor. Right now it starts up, but only SCREAMS at full throttle. It does not idle calmly before shutting down. Is that because of the governor set up for the pressure washer pump and has zero load on it? I would like to put this on a frame eventually. Any ideas come to mind?

Edit: uh oh, I just measured the spindle. Its 7/8". I believe I read somewhere that 7/8" clutches are not cheap. Am I correct about that?
Nope, I need to get my eyes checked. Spindle is 3/4". Darn tooting bifocals.

Works for DOM tubing as well, on frames, forks and handlebars.
Search some for the governor/ throttle conversion set-up. Most, if not all horizontal shaft engines have been converted to kart/bike use.
What is your opinion on the wide open throttle as it stands right now?

What is your opinion on the wide open throttle as it stands right now?
I have no direct experience with your engine set-up. It certainly looks like many of the snowblower controls that have been converted.
Someone will see this thread and give help, I’m sure.
Pull the shroud and have a look. Keep us posted.

Once you get the tank/top cover off, you'll see the governor set up. Sounds like rust has locked the governor wide open (go figure on a power washer engine).
I dis-assembled this afternoon. I think it looks pretty good, but I think there is a gov spring missing, and as cleaning the carbs I also noticed a trashed needle seat. I "borrowed" a spring off of another Briggs pressure washer sitting in the back yard. Carb overhaul kit is arriving on Sunday, and thumb throttle assembly is showing up tomorrow. I've heard other's talk about using old pressure washer frames as engine mock ups, and I'm doing that with this little pressure washer stand. Gonna mount the thumb throttle on the handle, and figure out the transition set up of the throttle on the motor. Shroad cleaned up real nice, and it ready for primer and then paint. I"m feeling pretty good and very optimistic about the transition from pressure washer to mini bike. I feel like the existing throttle / governor assembly is going to possibly be able to accept a throttle cable. 6 horse throttle.jpg

I dis-assembled this afternoon. I think it looks pretty good, but I think there is a gov spring missing, and as cleaning the carbs I also noticed a trashed needle seat. I "borrowed" a spring off of another Briggs pressure washer sitting in the back yard. Carb overhaul kit is arriving on Sunday, and thumb throttle assembly is showing up tomorrow. I've heard other's talk about using old pressure washer frames as engine mock ups, and I'm doing that with this little pressure washer stand. Gonna mount the thumb throttle on the handle, and figure out the transition set up of the throttle on the motor. Shroad cleaned up real nice, and it ready for primer and then paint. I"m feeling pretty good and very optimistic about the transition from pressure washer to mini bike. I feel like the existing throttle / governor assembly is going to possibly be able to accept a throttle cable. View attachment 243368
It could be as easy as unscrew the machine screw to allow the throttle lever to move freely. Then build a return spring so it returns to idle. Governor spring is a snap. Build a throttle cable mounting bracket and clamp. Mount a cable clamp on the throttle lever.
A nearby member here has converted Tec HSSK engines to bike/kart living. Pinrepair is the site name if I remember right. Some images there might help.

This morning my thumb throttle assembly showed up at the front door, so I did some assembly on the mock up cart. Installed it on the old pressure washer cart's arm w/ a little custom mount. I also found some springs and some hobby metal parts while cruising around the hardware store to work on my creation of the custom throttle pieces for the Briggs & Stratton 6hp Intek 190. I think I may have be pretty close. I still need to create the final throttle cable stop bracket thingy, but for now a zip tie is doing the trick. LOL!!!!

Gas tank wash flushed, carb was cleaned, and a rebuild kit on its way. Shroud is ready for primer. I'm making some progress on seeing if she'll run. Hopefully this time it won't be wide open.

Attachments

After staring at the picture of the existing throttle arm, I just figured it out. All I need to do the add another small 8-32 screw thru the bottom of the throttle arm right into the bottom of the cable stop piece. It's threaded both on the top and a bottom. I'll add a little lock washer on the top side and the bottom side. I will just need to install it prior to mounting the entire throttle plate mechanism on the top of the motor, because there wouldn't be any way to get to the bottom screw after the entire assembly is on top of the motor.

By chance did you happen to take a picture of your final custom throttle plate conversion with the cable? If so, can you send a picture of the final configuration of your 6 horse throttle conversion on the engine?