Briggs and Stratton Coil Magneto Magnetron

Fourtogo

Hi I have a 8hp Briggs , what would need to replace points and condenser. I bought a Steins 398811 coil . I set the coil gap with a business card . But can not get spark , fly wheel is clean around magnet , coil mounting posts are clean and bare . Confused frustrated to say the least.

Last edited:

Mr. Pink

You say that the “coil mounting posts are clean and bare”.
In the past, I have also had a no spark issue with a brand new coil.
In my case I needed to sand off the lacquer on the armature where it makes contact with the block and also where the heads of the mounting bolts make contact.

Fourtogo

You say that the “coil mounting posts are clean and bare”.
In the past, I have also had a no spark issue with a brand new coil.
In my case I needed to sand off the lacquer on the armature where it makes contact with the block and also where the heads of the mounting bolts make contact.
Hi Mr Pink I took a flap sander to back of coil . The one thing I just did , was compare the coil on my fresh rebuilt 8hp I did . Coils aren’t the same rebuilt one has a different coil checked spark I have spark on that one . I ordered that same coil on the rebuilt engine. Will see what happens I am thinking this is the issue. The photo on left is the problem child , right with coil wire at the top is on the rebuilt working ignition. i order the bottom one from junglezone .

Attachments

Last edited:
That coil on the left has an air gap armature above the top of the coil. Exclusive to B&S coils, this gap causes a stronger spark with longer duration. Confirm that all the metal-to-metal surfaces are clean bare metal, coil wire is not touching a ground surface and points open at the correct flywheel position. If this won't make a good hot spark, the condenser is probably defective.

The air gap coil has a square plastic thingy at the lower left that eliminates the points. Your small wire is grounded to stop the spark and not grounded to allow the spark.

An old Briggs repairman once told me "If you don't have the sparkplug wire attached and spin the flywheel, the spark will fire inside the coil and short it out". I always connect the kill wire FIRST to the motor before installing a coil on the motor and keep it there until everything is connected and tightened.

Fourtogo

That coil on the left has an air gap armature above the top of the coil. Exclusive to B&S coils, this gap causes a stronger spark with longer duration. Confirm that all the metal-to-metal surfaces are clean bare metal, coil wire is not touching a ground surface and points open at the correct flywheel position. If this won't make a good hot spark, the condenser is probably defective.
Coil on right eliminates condenser and points .